Enhancement for Overcorrection

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Enhancement for Overcorrection

Postby Walt » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:55 am

I am 49 years old and originally my eyes were -2.5 each. After my initial Lasik I had been overcorrected to +1 and +1.25, but for the first few hours after I woke I needed +1.75 to see the computer clear.

I had an enhancement done 2 days ago on Friday 11 April, exactly 16 weeks after the initial procedure (21 Dec 07).

The flap lift was nothing like having it cut the first time. This time as I left the doctor's office I could see the improvement. I did have the scratchy eye feeling after the procedure. I took a 4 hour nap, when I woke the scratchy eye was diminished almost entirely.

At my one day check up with my doctor I was able to see 20/20 with my left eye and 20/25 with the right eye. This was my best corrected visual acuity prior to the surgery, so I'm pleased.

Now when I wake up my far, mid, and near vision are great. I do get slightly more near sighted as the day progresses. I would guess about a -.25 to -.50 move, which just improves my near (computer viewing) vision, maintains my mid range (TV viewing) vision and prevents me seeing the clock on the microwave 25 feet away.

I know I have some healing to do, but it seems great at this time. I also don't have the night time dry eye I had the first time.

My next checkup is on the 23rd of this month.
Walt

Postby overcorrectedjw » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:18 pm

Walt,

Glad to hear that your enhancement procedure went well. I'm interested in your continuing progress. Keep us informed.

Regards.
overcorrectedjw

Postby griffin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:43 pm

Indeed... my overcorrection has regressed towards plano, but i still have a bit of astigmatism... curious to know how the enhancement went...
griffin

Postby Walt » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:31 pm

UPDATE

I went to my two week checkup with my surgeon. I picked up the paperwork to refresh my recall.

I went into this retreatment with my right eye at +1.5 and my left eye at +1.25. The machine was set an extra +.25 (+1.75, +1.5) because it was a hyperoptic procedure.

My eyes checked out at 20/25 right and 20/20 left which is what the corrected vision was prior to this procedure.

I work nights and as the night goes on I get slightly more nearsighted which is fine with me. I am 49 years old and right now I can read regular small print as close as 10 inches with no reading glasses. When I first get up I have to hold it out further. We'll have to see where it levels out as I heal.

I had no problems with ingrowth and the surgeon said to come back in 3 months.

I use lubricating drops as needed, usually every 4 hours or so. More often the longer I'm up.

My night vision is fine. I have some starbursts around red and green lights but now green is worst and I can read red LED signs now where I couldn't before. Glare is no worse now then it was before I had lasik.

I expect my night vision to improve as I heal. Just for info, my pupils are 6mm each in room light and my right eye is 7mm and left eye 7.5mm in dim light.

The best guess is my untouched cornea is about 330 microns thick.

After this retreatment my surgeon gave me a "Refractive Surgery Information Card" to keep safe in the event I need cataract surgery in the future.

I am preparing to head to bed. I hope I made some sense in this rambling of mine.
Walt

Postby Walt » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:02 am

Update

10 months after my enhancement surgery I just had my last visit with my surgeon. My eyes are as fine as can be expected.

My left eye is 20/20 and my right eye is between 20/20 and 20/25. Combined I see 20/20 but I don't feel like my eyes are 20/20. Focusing is harder and the longer I'm awake the worse my vision gets. The glare off the computer and the increased floaters cause me to have to refocus often while using the computer.

There is still a little ghosting when I look at a full moon or green lights. Overall though my night vision is very good.

I think my eyes actually become slightly nearsighted the longer I'm up. This means I can read the computer and my ebook reader better but far vision gets a little blurry.

Bottom line is I am 50 years old and only need reading glasses for small print. I don't require glasses for the computer or my E-book reader. If my eyes tire I just increase or decrease the font as needed.

Even though my eyesight is 20/happy I don't think I would recommend Lasik to anyone over 35 years old with a prescription of -2.5 or less. My eyes started out at -2.5 and I was 49.

In my case the 2nd surgery (enhancement) in each eye to correct the initial bad surgery was the right call, but should I ever have put myself in that position to begin with? Signing up for a surgery like this with no feedback loop in the process to ensure accuracy was/is nuts.

Thank you to everyone in this forum for your input, encouragement and empathy during this process.
Walt

Return to Just Had It