For Lasik or PRK, what's YOUR healing time?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

For Lasik or PRK, what's YOUR healing time?

Postby Tempted » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:00 am

I read Pappy's thread about PRK and that made me wonder about healing time.

For anyone who had Lasik or PRK, can you tell me how long it took for you to recover and 1. be able to drive 2. go back to work (especially using a computer the whole day). If you could give your age and prescription as an indication and any other relevant info, that would be great!

Thanks
Tempted

Fast recovery time with PRK

Postby epthorn » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:27 am

I had PRK not quite a year ago; both eyes at once. I became progressively more blind (functionally) for about 2-3 days, then began to get better. During those few days it was pretty painful. I could do light work the following monday (D+4) but it was pretty hard to deal with the computer screen for another 3 days. I began driving about a week after. I had good vision at this point, and I would say I got to my best vision after... oh, 1.5 months, about.

I get the impression my healing time was fairly short, though. I'm in good health, young, etc so I think your likely recovery depends on a host of factors, some of which you won't possibly know ahead of time. From what I read on this site before, you could expect to have to take off anywhere from 5-14 days of work normally in terms of computer work.
epthorn

Healing time for Epi-Lasik

Postby catnmus » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:14 pm

I know you asked for PRK, but Epi-Lasik is pretty similar. I'm 43 and my prescription was -7.00 and -7.75, no astigmatism. I work in an office with computers all day.

I had each eye done separately. I only took a total of 3 days off work. One for each surgery day, then two half days on post-surgery day 2 both times, as the eye suddenly decided to complain about what had been done to it (it got swollen and watery and itchy and painful). So basically I was back to work right away. I did have a period of about a week where I could not drive (when one eye is close to 20/20 and the other is far away, glasses won't work, and you have to have the contact out for a week before the second surgery, so I was operating on one eye for a week).

As far as the vision itself. The first week, my vision got noticeably better very quickly - every day I saw an improvement. But then it stagnated for about 3 full weeks, at about 20/40. And it was another week or two after it started improving again where I would say it was really starting to be useable. So if I'd had both done at the same time, I wouldn't have been able to work for probably 4-5 weeks. Or I would have had to crank up the font size on my computer really big, or something like that. I wouldn't have been able to drive (with one eye at a time, I was able to drive with one 20/20 eye and one 20/40 eye). I waited 8 weeks before having the 2nd eye done - I wanted to make sure I could really depend on that first eye on its own, before having the second eye done, because I knew the vision would be crappy for about 4-5 weeks.
catnmus

Re: Fast recovery time with PRK

Postby Tempted » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:52 am

[b]Epthorn[/b]"From what I read on this site before, you could expect to have to take off anywhere from 5-14 days of work normally in terms of computer work. "

Yeah, that's what I kind of guessed most people range by reading a few recovery updates. I know your recovery depends on a few factors, and I wanted to get an idea where I stand. I am fairly young, too so hopefully it won't be too long :)
Tempted

Re: Healing time for Epi-Lasik

Postby Tempted » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:59 am

[quote="catnmus"]I know you asked for PRK, but Epi-Lasik is pretty similar. I'm 43 and my prescription was -7.00 and -7.75, no astigmatism. I work in an office with computers all day.

I had each eye done separately. I only took a total of 3 days off work. One for each surgery day, then two half days on post-surgery day 2 both times, as the eye suddenly decided to complain about what had been done to it (it got swollen and watery and itchy and painful). So basically I was back to work right away. I did have a period of about a week where I could not drive (when one eye is close to 20/20 and the other is far away, glasses won't work, and you have to have the contact out for a week before the second surgery, so I was operating on one eye for a week).

As far as the vision itself. The first week, my vision got noticeably better very quickly - every day I saw an improvement. But then it stagnated for about 3 full weeks, at about 20/40. And it was another week or two after it started improving again where I would say it was really starting to be useable. So if I'd had both done at the same time, I wouldn't have been able to work for probably 4-5 weeks. Or I would have had to crank up the font size on my computer really big, or something like that. I wouldn't have been able to drive (with one eye at a time, I was able to drive with one 20/20 eye and one 20/40 eye). I waited 8 weeks before having the 2nd eye done - I wanted to make sure I could really depend on that first eye on its own, before having the second eye done, because I knew the vision would be crappy for about 4-5 weeks.[/quote]

Oh, no. I can't imagine getting one eye done at a time. It would be really inconvenient to find someone to take you there, etc. And working with one eye, I couldn't do that either. Thank you for sharing your experience!
Tempted

Return to Just Had It