4.5 months - DLK yes or no

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Postby prince headley » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:50 am

Unfortunately, I have an update.

I saw the MN doc on January 4, 2007, just a few days after we returned from a holiday in a warm lovely location. My eyes felt great while I was gone. I did my final titer off of Lotamax right before we left. The physician (Dr. D.) thought my eyes looked much better. I was scheduled to see her back in one month. I struggled over whether it was worth making another 8 hour round trip and decided to at least make the appointment. Vision was 20/20 OD, 20/40 OS.

A maybe relevant fact -while on holiday, I cracked my patella (knee cap), didn't know it, and took a lot of inflammatory dose ibuprofen (800mg) every 4-6 hours. I still had a great vacation!

The week of January 14, 2008, I had meetings out of town (sleeping in dry hotel rooms). This is when I first noticed the photosensitivity was back. It has continued to bother me.

On Monday, January 21, 2008, I had a routine follow-up appointment with my LASIK MD. He had already spoken to me by phone about what Dr. D. said. He disagreed with her diagnosis. At this appointment, he told me that my "corneal haze" was no worse than it had been in the second week of December. He told me he was "unimpressed" by my blepharitis. My vision was 20/20 OD 20/25 (reading scale) OS. My eyes hurt. He gave me free drops (refresh, systane). He told me it would heal, but that this was very slow. We talked about my vacation; we are both swimmer/snorklers.

Today, Feb. 1, 2008, my husband and I drove to MN to see Dr. D. Vision was good. Photosensitivity has been getting worse. Eyes hurt. I have been feeling pretty low.

DX - Yes. I have/had blepharitis, But I plainly have grade II DLK. Dr. D. admits it is an unusual course with all of the waxing and waning. (I have been on low doses of steroids much of the time). My OD was right after all.

Any way, I am taking 60 mg of oral prednisone and am being treated with an anti - viral too (acyclovir). I am still treating for the blepharitis. I never used to take pills. I've never in my life had a cold sore. I am/was a really healthy person. I return to MN in 6 days.

PH
prince headley

Postby BAM17 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:05 pm

Prince Headley,
So sorry to hear of your ordeal. You're in my thoughts. Do you have an update for us? Why did it take them so long to diagnose the DLK? So did you have DLK the entire 4.5 months....or did the blepharitis bring that on? From what I have read of DLK...it frightens me. It can happens months/years after lasik. That is something that I was certainly never told before having Lasik. We should be alerted to the risks that can occur not only right after the procedure....but years after as well. Please give us an update....and I hope that you are well.

bam
BAM17

Update

Postby prince headley » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:53 pm

Thanks BAM17.

I am fine, but still struggling. I was on oral prednisone for 6 weeks (2 weeks of 60 mg per day; one week 40,30,20, and 10, and off) (gained 5 pounds!). My DLK cleared up nicely, but I still had corneal haze.

10 days off prednisone and I returned to my MN physician (who I have come to know quite well). Vision was worse and my eyes were bothering me. She did not think the DLK was coming back, but was concerned about my vision. Ophthalmology resident took a look at my eyes with the slit lamp and was visibly concerned. He, of course, told me to wait and talk to my doc. She is quite reassuring.

She put me on lotemax twice a day. Within 4 days my vision cleared up and my discomfort went away. I just saw my doc again on Tuesday of this week (each trip is 8 hours round trip- all worth it to preserve my vision). My vision was excellent. She did a refraction and corneal topography. She said this time that my eyes looked better than she has ever seen them and that even the haze was significantly diminished.

I am on the lotemax for anther month and then I assume I will titer down.

Who knows what will happen then. Right now my eyes feel great.

I have asked why this happened and my doc says she has never seen anything like it before. At this last visit she was still musing. I have significant allergies and a family history of autoimmune disease. Although I do not have autoimmune disease, She thinks that maybe the allergies played a part.

I had LASIK on July 10, 2007. Hopefully, by my one-year anniversary I will be off drugs.

I do regret the surgery; however, I am thankful that my vision appears to generally be doing OK.

Best to all of you,

Prince Headley
prince headley

Postby prince headley » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm

Sorry BAM17. I did not answer your question I believe it was DLK since about day 10. Since Dr. D was not seeing me then and my Lasik doc denied that, who knows for sure.

Obviously, my presentation was unusual and it really waxed and waned and was confused by the simultaneous presence of haze and dry eye.

My Lasik doc was very cavalier. That was my big concern with him. My OD diagnosed it right away.

I think I am a very weird case.

PH
prince headley

Postby BAM17 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:16 pm

PH-
So glad to hear you are better. What a process. I learned a lot from your postings...thank you so much. My doctor has been attentive to me, but doesn't explain things to me as though I'm an intelligent human being. It wasn't until I read your post, decided to request a copy of my medical record (hadn't even booked the second opinion...but was contemplating) that I got a personal phone call from him....with a few more answers. I think it's good for all of us to have a copy of our MR anyway....for we never know what the future holds.

You said in your update post in February that they put you on an anti-viral....could your DLK have been caused by a virus? Was that a theory? It seems like so much is still unknown about DLK. I sure hope they get to the root of your condition. Thank you for educating all of us....and you have my best wishes!
BAM17

Useful forum

Postby JimBen » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:49 am

I would like to get further info.Thank you.
_ _ _
signature: look at my hobbies -

Note: Link to a commercial website was redacted.
JimBen

Previous

Return to Had It A While Ago