ICL questionairre

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

ICL questionairre

Postby beingbobbyorr » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:53 am

For those who are interested in ICLs (or being steered toward them by one or more vision care professionals), here is my questionairre that I'm going to run by the doctors ....

http://iclquestions.angelfire.com/

Other prospective patients are free to use it to interview their own doctors. If there are any ICL veterans out there, I'd welcome feedback on this list of questions (especially additional issues I might not have thought about).

Thanks.
beingbobbyorr

Postby excimer_guy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:15 am

Just browsed through your questions real quickly. You should not get caught up in the whole wavefront thing too much. Just moving the ICL by a millimeter (which would be a lot) will cause 3D of refractive difference! Therefore, trying to correct individual wavefront errors with the ICL would be daunting. As it stands, the ICL does not correct wavefront-errors. After implantation, you might however want to consider a Lasik touch-up. Addressing very pronounced wavefront-errors (e.g. coma) then might be an option. Remember however that defocus and astigmatism are the most influential aberrations. Getting your prescription right with either the ICL or an ICL/Lasik combination will therefore go a long way ;-)
excimer_guy

Postby beingbobbyorr » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:30 am

excimer_guy wrote:Just browsed through your questions real quickly. You should not get caught up in the whole wavefront thing too much. Just moving the ICL by a millimeter (which would be a lot) will cause 3D of refractive difference! Therefore, trying to correct individual wavefront errors with the ICL would be daunting. As it stands, the ICL does not correct wavefront-errors. After implantation, you might however want to consider a Lasik touch-up. Addressing very pronounced wavefront-errors (e.g. coma) then might be an option. Remember however that defocus and astigmatism are the most influential aberrations. Getting your prescription right with either the ICL or an ICL/Lasik combination will therefore go a long way ;-)

I appreciate your comments very much, but I don't think the questionairre is too caught up in Wavefront. It may seem that way only because it's the first question, but it only gets mentioned there and in question 57 (re: post-ICL tweaking).

I'm not suggesting that a prospective ICL patient ought to discard ICLs because they don't 'do Wavefront', but the fact is Lasik marketing these days trumpets Wavefront like it's the gateway to perfect vision . . . . so it's a natural question to pose to the ICL consortia (Staar + partner physicians). I don't see any harm in asking it, if for no other reason than the ICL doctors (who almost to a man also do Lasik/PRK) will be forced to de-mystify the (possibly-over-hyped) miraculous claims of Wavefront.

BTW, I still have other doctors to see, but the one with whom I've gone over this list in detail says that post-ICL tweaking of vision with Lasik will NOT involve Wavefront measurements . . . . the reason being that Wavefront measurements send their energy through a dilated eye, meaning that part of the wavefront goes through the ICL optic, some through the ICL (non-optic) edges, and some not through the ICL at all, which completely destroys the coherence of the return signal.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge & opinions.
beingbobbyorr

Postby beingbobbyorr » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:32 pm

The list has been refined:

http://iclquestions.angelfire.com/
beingbobbyorr

Return to Thinking About It