More ghosting and hyperopia as the day wears on - why?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

More ghosting and hyperopia as the day wears on - why?

Postby Olof_LASEK_Sweden » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:43 pm

I am now 33 days post op and better by the week.

The right eye ghost has indeed moved closer to the original picture and become more faint. The left seems a little less hyperopic.

Now to the question:

How come I can wake up without the ghost, today it was the 1st hour of waking time, and then it worsens as the day wears on?

I also observed yesterday afternoon that after a nap, the ghost was gone ( when looking at a benchmark street number sign outside my kitchen window) .

The same seems to go for the hyperopia, especially when using the computer at night the hyperopia on the left will really "throw a fit" after a certain amount of time. Why?

Anyone else experiencing these fenomena?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olof_LASEK_Sweden
36 years old
LASEK with MMC March 27th 2008
Schwind Esiris Laser
Pre-Op, (2006 ):
R:Sph -3.0 (No astig) BCVA: 20/17 (1.2)
L:Sph -3.0 Cyl -0.75 90 BCVA: 20/20 (1.0)
Olof_LASEK_Sweden

Postby Olof_LASEK_Sweden » Wed May 07, 2008 8:31 pm

Update: Almost 6 weeks post op the ghosting on the right eye is more faint and much closer to the original picture. Outdoor daylight vision is not impeeded by the right eye ghost anymore. The daylight outdoor vision is very good and at least 20/20. The hyperopia has receeded as well.

Remaining are some artefacts when watching TV, taillights of cars in a dark tunnel, etc, due to ghosting. Weeks 4-6 has seen very good healing, hooray!
Olof_LASEK_Sweden

Postby griffin » Wed May 07, 2008 10:09 pm

glad to hear you are getting better olof... im in the same boat as you... corrected into hyperopia and having ghosting in the right eye only when its dim or dark environment and im looking at a light source like the tv... i hope it goes away...
griffin

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 08, 2008 4:32 am

Astigmatism is when the cornea is not spherical like the top of a ball, but is elliptical like the back of a spoon. Light passing through the "tip" of the spoon is focused off center and can cause the ghosting you describe.

In lighted environments the pupils may constrict enough to block the light passing through the tip of the spoon from reaching inside and being "seen".

A simple way to describe irregular astigmatism is when the surface of the cornea is bumpy. When light passes through these irregularities it can be out of focus or off center. Constricting pupils can reduce the problem, but may actually make the effects worse if the irregularity is in the center of the cornea.

Continued healing will help resolve some, if not all, of these irregularities. The outermost pliable layer of corneal cells does a great job of filling in the holes and smoothing the outer surface of the cornea.

Dry eyes can delay healing, cause astigmatism, or exacerbate existing astigmatism. A moist eye is an environment conducive to healing. This may be why after closing your eyes for an extended period of time your vision is better for a while.

Be sure to discuss all of these issues with your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Olof_LASEK_Sweden » Thu May 08, 2008 1:10 pm

Thanks Glenn!

The vision is now less dependent on time of day or taking naps. I gather the cracks,holes, etc, are starting to fill upp with real tissue just as you describe.

It may sound lazy or whatever to readers, but the 1st post-op appt is June 5th, around 10 weeks post-op. I guess this is how they do it here, where as in the UK and US they seem to have a lot more checkups. I won't know manifest refraction ( remaining error ) until then.
Olof_LASEK_Sweden

Postby Olof_LASEK_Sweden » Sat May 10, 2008 12:53 pm

Unfortunately, today I will likely have to mark down my first worsening in the diary. It felt a tad strange to read on the computer screen and when I block out the right eye it turns out that the left has gone a dash more hyperopic since yesterday.

On its own I can still read with the left, trying on some magazines, but it has to focus first.

The right is correctly focused from the get-go.

I believe time is on my side here, right Glenn?

Since I came from myopia, changes from now on ( 6 weeks post-op ) are more likely to be towards myopia, rather than hyperopia?

I would much rather end up with a dash of myopia than hyperopia. That's why I am obsessing about the left eye ( we all cannot help but to obsess, right) . It would serve as a buffer for future presbyopia and regression.

My mother has just regressed 0,5 the last two years from -4 to -3.5! She is 65. In her younger years, she wore -6 she tells me! So ending up with a slight slight myopia would give me somewhat a buffer for the coming 30 years.
Olof_LASEK_Sweden

Postby LasikExpert » Sat May 10, 2008 6:11 pm

Olof_LASEK_Sweden wrote:I believe time is on my side here, right Glenn?

Time may or may not be on your side, but you will need to allow everything to settle down before you consider whether or not to have additional surgery to resolve the current hyperopia.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Olof_LASEK_Sweden » Sun May 11, 2008 2:15 pm

LasikExpert wrote:
Olof_LASEK_Sweden wrote:I believe time is on my side here, right Glenn?

Time may or may not be on your side, but you will need to allow everything to settle down before you consider whether or not to have additional surgery to resolve the current hyperopia.

Yes, right you are, Glenn. As it says in the info from the clinic, healing time 1-18 months. I am still very early.

I guess I am obsessing too much for these minor things, I think the left went from +0.25 to +0.3 yesterday, or similar. It really seems to be only a dash. As a whole, the healing has gone extremely well and fairly quick for me. The ghosts are on their way to leave it seems, and that right eye ( dominant ) really has a splendid daylight vision now, I believe it is plano.

Together, my eyes now have how do you say it "spanking good" vision in a daylight setting. :)
Olof_LASEK_Sweden

Return to Just Had It