Custom lasik 4-18. Mostly happy...but DLK problems?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Custom lasik 4-18. Mostly happy...but DLK problems?

Postby Rocksville » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:36 pm

I had custom Lasik done on the morning of 4-18. I declined the seditive (valium) as I usually like to avoid drugs if possible. In retrospect, I should have taken it because I was a little more tense and stressed on the table than I thought I would be.

After a couple hours the intense light sensitivity subsided and the mild burning went away. I could see really well in my left, and my right was just a little blurry, but still pretty good. The overall feeling of my eyes was simlar to having dry contacts in.

When I woke up on 4-19, my left eye felt great and was very sharp, buy my right eye was much more blurry. I went in for my post op visit and the doc said my right eye was developing DLK around the outer edges but hadn't progressed to the to the middle of the eye yet. He told me to continue steroid drops in my right eye every hour and to come in the next day to take a look.

When I awoke on 4-20 my right eye vision was much better. A little hazy, but overall very good. I went to the doc and he said that the DLK had progressed into the middle of the eye, but that that was expected. he said it was stage 2, and that my left eye had a little and was stage 1. Again, continue steroid drops in my right eye every hour and come back tomorrow. He said the improvement in my vision was more likely just some swelling going down and my eye adjusting a little to what is going on.

This morning it seems like my right eye has gotten just slighly more blurry, but is still much better than day 2. I'm going down for another apointment in an hour and I'll report back.

Overall, I'm pretty happy. The issue in my right eye doesn't effect me too much as my left eye is my dominant one. If my vision doesn't improve from what it is now, I still think it's a major improvement from what I was before, and could live with it. From what I've read, as long as DLK is monitored it should be taken care of and I shouldn't have any long term side effects.
Rocksville

Postby Rocksville » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:00 pm

Just went to the doc again. I'm seeing 20/20 in my left and about 20/25 in the right. The DLK has progressed a little further, so he did a "shock" treatment with about 6 drops of Pred Forte and then prescribed me oral Prednison for the next few days.

If that doesn't help it, then they are gong to lift the flap. I'll post back as I here more.
Rocksville

Postby Rocksville » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:29 pm

I went in today and the doc said it was looking like it had stopped progessing and was beginning to get better. He had the surgeon look at it and due to a certain scheduling conflict I have for this weekend, we decided between the three of us that the best solution was to lift the flap and rinse out the cells.

So, I had that done, which only took a moment. Afterwards it was a little sore like after the initial surgery, but 3 hours later I'm back at work and feel pretty good. I know I'm not supposed to be on a computer, but duty calls and I'll only be here for an hour or two.

I see 20/20 in my left (pretty close to 20/15) and before the flap was lifted I was at 20/30 in the right. I'm probably about in the same spot now, but I think in the morning it will start to clear up. I feel pretty good about things right now.
Rocksville

Postby BAM17 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:36 pm

Hi Rocksville,
Thanks for keeping us updated. Sorry you're having the DLK complications.....but your optimism is good for all of us to read :) Sounds like you have a very attentive eye-care clinic. Where are you located? Sounds like they are right on top of things, and seeing you almost every day to monitor you closely. Will your return to them tomorrow? Your vision is quite good considering how soon it's been...plus the DLK. Sounds like you're on your way to a speedy recovery. You're in my thoughts.....and keep us posted :)
BAM17

Postby Rocksville » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:52 pm

I'm in Salt lake City.

Even with the DLK, my eyesight is great IMO and I've never been in any real discomfort other than the few hours after poking at my eye(s).

The impressive thing about my clinic, is that the Doc (not the surgeon) was in Idaho over the weekend doing a seminar on DLK of all things, so my post op on Saturday was done by a different dr who is just part of their network. He didn't have access to that clinic on Sunday, but wanted to make sure I was taken care of so he had me come down to his private practice on Sunday and Monday to keep an eye on me until my regular doc was back. I thought that was pretty impressive.

The surgeon that lifted the flap today, literally came straight from the airport upon returning from the Boston Marathon to do my surgery. I thought that was exceptional. Needless to say, I'm very pleased with my choice in facilities and confident in my dr's.
Rocksville

Postby BAM17 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:12 am

That's great to hear. I live near Boston...about 45 minutes north of. I had complications the first day....my flaps dislocated and had to be "refloated" several hours after the initial procedure. Needless to say, my eyes were not very happy afterwards! My surgeon has seen me each and every visit. If I have a concern, I call him...and he usually tells me to come in immediately. He's been very attentive to me....as has his staff....so I'm happy with that. I'm 5 weeks out now. I have very dry eyes...so I'm taking all kinds of measures to alleviate that. Glad you came to this board for support.....it helps!
BAM17

Postby Rocksville » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:44 pm

The dry eye thing is weird to me. Other than the first day, and a little the day after, my eyes feel just fine. I don't feel the need for drops, and the drops don't make them feel any better. The doc tells me they are dry, but they don't feel any different than they did when I was in my hard contacts. Maybe I'm just used to the feeling.

The only time I notice it is in the morning. They are a little hard to hopen and very dry, but thats seems to be pretty normal. If it doesn't go away in a month or so I'll pick up some of those gel type eye drops and give them a shot.
Rocksville

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:13 pm

Check with your doctor if using a nighttime gel would be helpful.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Rocksville » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:06 pm

did another follow up. My vision is only slightly improved from the last test, but deffinately better than 6 hours post flap liftage. The DLK is about 50% better than yesterday, and is deffinately regressing.

I'm going to continue out the next 3 days of my prednison oral pills, and continue for the next day or two on hourly drops of Pred Forte. I have another visit tomorrow.

Man, I'm getting tired of these 45 minute commutes for 15 minute checkups....but it's worth it. There are far worse inconveniences...such as contacts and glasses for the rest of my years.
Rocksville

Postby Rocksville » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:26 am

got back from my vacation and had another checkup. I'm 10 days post op in my left eye, and 7 days in my right. the DLK is about 70% resolved overall, and I'm only taking the pred forte drops 4 times daily in my right eye.

My left eye is like laser vision, I can see everything. My right eye is about 20/30 ish...maybe a little worse....and slightly far sighted. Combined I see 20/20. There is still some swelling so the dr said I should see slow progress over the next few weeks in my right eye, but that it isn't uncommon to have a "hypermyoptic" shift as a result of the DLK that might cause me to be slighly far sighted in that eye. If that is the case, we can look at doing a touch up a few months down the road.

I'm left eye dominant, so I see great as long as I'm using both eyes. If I only saw as well as my right eye, I would be pretty dissapointed. My right eye should still improve, which means I might get even better vision. I'm pretty happy. Money well spent.

Cody
Rocksville

Return to Just Had It