Myopia with Astigmatism

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Myopia with Astigmatism

Postby Jean Chan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:19 am

I'm Jean, from China. Have been shortsighted for many years.
Recently I wanna have an operation to cure myopia. But I know very little about it. The condition of my eyesight as follows:
Left eye: 650 oxyopter Right eye: 600 oxyopter
Can you tell me which kind of medical appliance is comparatively safe? I worried a bit about it. (I know I must take the wave front aberration. I haven't done it yet.)
Thank you very much!
Jean Chan

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:12 pm

There are many methods to reduce the need for corrective lenses. Your prescription indicates that you are in the treatable range for Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik. I recommend that you read about Lasik and LASEK to become familiar with two of the most popular laser eye surgery techniques.

You will require a comprehensive evaluation from a competent doctor to know for sure if any surgery is appropriate.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Jean Chan » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:27 am

I have the comprehensive evaluation just now. The doctor said that I had thin cornea (463um and 496um) and he would only recommend Epi-Lasik.
(There is no Intralasik in this hospital) My oxyopter now:Left eye: 750 Right eye: 650.And he didn't tell me other concerned data of my evaluation. : (
I will really appreciate if you can tell me which surgical procedure fits me.Intralasik or Epi-lasik or something else?
Thank you very much!!
Jean Chan

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:02 pm

You refractive error is so high and your corneas so thin that only a surface ablation appears to be possible. IntraLasik can make a thin flap, but even a thin flap would put you too close to instability, in my opinion.

The problem with surface ablation is that corneal haze often forms with your higher refractive error. This haze can be permanent and can cause vision limitation.

The doctor may use Mitomycin C intraoperatively to change the wound response and limit the formation of corneal haze. Mitomycin C is a rather strong medicine that is probably best avoided when possible, but is appropriate when necessary.

The use of 500mg of vitamin C twice a day for at least a week before surgery and two weeks after surgery coupled with the religious use of 100% UVA and UVB blocking sunglasses has been shown to reduce the probability of corneal haze.

In addition to the thin cornea and elevated probability of haze, you also would have an elevated probability of regression and subsequent enhancement surgery.

Overall, you may find that no surgery is appropriate at this time.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It