Up Close Vision

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Up Close Vision

Postby SheSews » Sun May 04, 2008 5:01 pm

I just had lasik done on Thursday (today's Sunday), and I'm feeling extremely down because my up close vision is so bad. I would say everything from about 2 feet out is unfocused. I'm 44, so I know that presbyopia is an issue.

Since it's only been a few days, will this up close vision get ANY better? Or did I just exchange one set of glasses for seeing far away, to another set of glasses for seeing things close up?

I'm extremely depressed about this, because there are so many things that I love to do that are close up - reading, sewing, the computer - and all of that is compromised right now. And my fear is that it will be compromised forever. I'm thinking that I should have waited to get this surgery until my presyopia was worse.

Any thoughts? Will my up close vision get any better in the upcoming weeks? My far vision is great by the way.
SheSews

Postby BAM17 » Sun May 04, 2008 6:12 pm

Hi SheSews,
Sorry to hear of your difficulties....but you've come to the right place. Most of us are here because of difficulites we have/are having with our eye surgeries...and we all support each other. Couple of questions for you....did you need readers before the Lasik? What was your pre-op prescription? Answers to these questions may help others give you more detailed information. Also...did you check out the article on Sudden Presbyopia on this web site? It may have some information valuable to you. From previous posts I've read, it does take some adjusting time...and you are still very, very fresh from the surgery. Try not to be too hard on yourself...things do get better for most of us as time goes on. I'm six weeks out.....and I am currently having distance issues in my left eye...however other issues that I had, have resolved. Give it more time...and hopefully someone in a similar situation can give you some feedback/advice. Take care.

B.A.M.
BAM17

Postby SheSews » Sun May 04, 2008 6:57 pm

Thank you so much for your reply! And no, I didn't need readers before. And I did read about the presbyopia on this website. And in talking to my mom, she's 67 and still doesn't need readers. *sigh* I really hope that I didn't make a huge mistake.
SheSews

Postby overcorrectedjw » Mon May 05, 2008 2:36 am

Some encouragement. My up close vision was poor soon after my Lasik surgery on 1/10/08, but has since improved significantly. I now wear readers to read small print comfortably, but that's not unusual for a 47 year old. I went from very farsighted to slightly nearsighted. You should see what your current prescription is and monitor your progress. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor questions. It takes time for most people to realize their best vision - be patient and remain positive. Good luck.
overcorrectedjw

Postby SheSews » Mon May 05, 2008 3:15 pm

Thanks, overcorrectedjw. My DH keeps telling me to be patient, and that's about all I can do. I'm just trying to not get depressed! This helps.
SheSews

Postby LauraD » Mon May 05, 2008 3:23 pm

Hi, I had lasik on March 8 and my close up vision was funny. When I covered my right eye, my left was blurry. When I covered my left my right was clear. That has since cleared up. I now see perfect close up when reading.
LauraD

Return to Just Had It