Myopic enhancment after primary hyperopic overcorrection

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Myopic enhancment after primary hyperopic overcorrection

Postby croanster » Thu May 08, 2008 12:38 pm

Here’s my initial thread: http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert/viewtopic.php?t=1285&view=next

I’m nearly a year out from intralase lasik. Started out right eye +4.5/ -1.0 and left eye +3.5.

I don’t know my exact script at the moment – I can see ALOT better through a couple of different lens. The glasses I wear are -0.25 / -0.75 / 030 left eye and -0.25 -0.75 150 right eye.

Through my left (dominant) eye I can see really well through a +0.25 / -1.0 / 030 lens as well so I’m assuming that’s probably my script and my eyes accommodation is compensating with the script in my glasses.

I also see starbursts at night. My dark adapted pupils were measured at 6.0mm – the ablation was based on this measurement. My dark adapted pupils have been measured since at around 7.5 mm. (same machine for measurement so i don’t know what happened the first time but I wish it didn’t...) My night vision is rubbish – daytime is adequate in bright light. Glasses improve my vision a great deal under all lighting conditions. I am not happy with my vision at the moment and would like to get it fixed if the risks are not too great.

Question: If I was to have an enhancement performed aiming to correct -0.25 / -0.75 / 030 on my dominant eye, would it be likely to lessen the starbursts with a large ablation zone?

Are there any extra risks to the accuracy of the laser / calculations performing a myopic ablation over an initial hyperopic ablation?

Anything else I should think about that I can’t think of at the moment?

Thanks as always.
croanster

Changes

Postby Mr.UnPerfect » Thu May 08, 2008 7:38 pm

I was wondering. I read your Oct. 07 post where you said you near vision is great. If you enhanced your distance , how would that effect your near. I would assume if you changed one , it would effect the other.

My situation is like yours, a big improvement over where I was, but not fully satisified. I have described it as good, better, and best vision. I think I am stuck at better. But would like best if possible. The reading of the charts in the doctors office show 20/20 but at night I am off. My guess is my distant eye is off around -.25 . I had mono/vision

My thoughts currently and from what I have be reading is a PRK enhancement over the lasik. Less chance for flap related problems, but I am concerned with the PRK possibilities, haze etc.

thats all for now, I have alot more to say , but am tired.
Mr.UnPerfect

Postby croanster » Fri May 09, 2008 9:41 am

At the moment i can focus on magazine print at about 2 – 2.5 inches in front of my face. Not a particularly useful skill... With my glasses that correct the distance I can focus on print around 5 – 6 inches in front of my face. That’s close enough to be able to see anything I rekon ;)

My close vision is good out to around 5 feet then deteriorates from there. I don’t know if that’s the astigmatism kicking in that i can’t focus around or the induced myopia. Either way, I’m not keen on it. I’d rather be blurry from 5 feet in and have the rest of my world in focus but that’s just me I guess.

I’m not sure about PRK in my situation. I seem to think that its better to ablate over the same surface that’s already been zapped. It’s my hope that a myopic ablation can extend out into the area that was zapped with the initial hyperopic correction and smooth everything out and get rid of the starbursts as well as improving the quality of my vision.

Does this sound reasonable? (glenn?? :) )
croanster

Return to Had It A While Ago