Eyedrop Question....

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Eyedrop Question....

Postby lisa_ » Wed May 07, 2008 4:57 pm

I just had Lasik done on Friday and I LOVE IT! Vision is amazing mostly.....from about 1 foot to 20 feet away is a little blurry, but I'm assuming this will clear up with time. The only other minor issue is adjusting in dim lighting, but I do have large pupils and think this might be partly to blame for that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated =)

My main question is this.....when I was in contacts, I was allergic to ALL salines/cleaners, etc and even most brands of contact lenses. Seems as though this has continued with the eyedrops! I have used the ones I got from my doctor, tried the Refresh brand, and as of yesterday the Genteal brand, but have had no luck with any of them. Any suggestions on a lubricating eyedrop that may not make my eyes itch like crazy and blur my vision?
lisa_

Postby BAM17 » Wed May 07, 2008 5:47 pm

Hi Lisa,
I experienced the same problem as you. What I now use (with success) is Tears Naturale. They come in individual vials....and they are fairly expensive (about $16 to $18) for 60 vials. You can only use the vial once...then you have to throw it away. So in the beginning...you may use up to 12 vials or more day....but that will decrease over time. I now use about a box every week to 10 days (7 weeks out). I originally tried the Moderate Genteal....but the drops did not agree with my eyes. Hope this helps. Shop around at your different stores....I found them a couple dollars cheaper at one of the bigger department stores.

B.A.M.
BAM17

Thera Tears

Postby BAM17 » Thu May 08, 2008 1:47 am

Actually...I was going to ask others if they have used/like Thera Tears? Has anyone had luck with this brand....the preservative free vials? I was thinking about trying this brand....as they are packaged better (the vials are in foil). Any input from somone who has used/had luck with Thera Tears would be helpful. Thanks.
BAM17

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 08, 2008 4:26 am

On our page about artificial tears you can see the ingredients of the major brands of artificial tears. If you find one you don't like, you may want to avoid that type of tear. Otherwise, it's mostly trial and error.

It would be very helpful to determine what causes your allergic reaction. If saline solution is problematic, it seems likely that the problem is the preservative used. A preservative-free version of your favorite artificial tear may be what is needed.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby lisa_ » Thu May 08, 2008 8:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately I have been unable to find the Tears Naturale as of yet.....I live in a very small town, but am headed to the big city this weekend and hope to find some there.

Glenn: The only saline I was able to use when wearing my contacts was the preservative free kind that comes in a can rather than a bottle. I have been using that as an eyedrop, but am a little leery because of the high pressure and trying to actually get the solution into my eyes! The ingredients on the saline read as follows: 'sterile, isotonic buffered solution containing sodium chloride, boric acid and sodium borate. I agree with you....knowing what is triggering the allergy would be most helpful!! Although, since I have tried the preservative-free tears and have still had problems, I'm not sure that it is actually the preservative rather than something else causing the irritation.

Thanks again!
lisa_

Return to Just Had It