Hard lens wearer for Lasik

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Hard lens wearer for Lasik

Postby boyszone » Thu May 08, 2008 11:26 pm

Hi
I have been wearing hard lens for five years.
I have been to two optometris and both said i might be able to go for lasik.
They said I need to be without hard lens for six weeks before the next eyes test. I am currently wearing soft lens and advised to wear glasses three days before the eyes test and three days before the lasik
I have a quite high astigmatism.

Last test on my eyes was:
Right:-0.50/-2.00 X15
Left:-5.25/-0.75 x175

The reason I wear hard lens was I have eyes conditions where my eyes (called something ***) that is not round but oval, so only hard lens can give me the best vision.

Can you tell me what is my risk for lasik for long term hardlens wearer, and my eyes conditions?
boyszone

Postby LasikExpert » Fri May 09, 2008 3:49 pm

I'm glad to hear that your optometrist is insisting on a long period of time out of rigid gas permeable (RGP) hard contact lenses. RGPs can mask underlying problems with the cornea. Eventually your corneas will revert back to their natural shape.

It sounds like your problem is severe astigmatism and that is why you get the best correction with RGPs.

You may want to read our articles about astigmatism and Lasik and how long out of contacts for Lasik.

It really is impossible to suggest what Lasik results you can expect until your corneas are in a natual shape and testing can be performed. There is nothing about long-term use of RGPs that would be a contraindication, but the evaluation needs to be performed after they are out a while.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Rocksville » Fri May 09, 2008 5:59 pm

I was in RGP contacts for 14 years and ended up out of them for 7 weeks prior to surgery. I was told a month for every decade of use.

We did a bunch of scans leading up to the surgery to make sure my eyes were stable prior to getting zapped.
Rocksville

Postby LasikExpert » Sat May 10, 2008 6:12 pm

The scans are most important. No matter how long it takes, corneal warpage from prior RGP lens use needs to be totally resolved before surgery. Otherwise when the cornea changes shape the effects of the laser surgery will be changed as well.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It