Dry eye or Astigmatism? Eye Drops clear up my vision

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Dry eye or Astigmatism? Eye Drops clear up my vision

Postby GrandpaJohn » Mon May 12, 2008 3:56 pm

Hi, I am now 10 wks post lasik. My distance is still not sharp and when driving I have to be really close to make out street signs, etc. My eyes do feel dry and slight occasional pain. I went to see my lasik doctor and was told I have dry eye and that most likely my slight astimatism was all corrected. He said that if it was Astigmatism causing the distance fuzziness that eye drops wouldnt momentarily clear up my vision. Now I think I know why my toric contact lenses were torture to wear after 3 hours, I was having dry eyes from them. Thats the main reason I decided to get lasik, because contacts were just to uncomfortable.
When I put in lubricating eye drops my vision is awesome, just like I hoped for. But as soon as the drops wear off, like aprox 3 mins my vision is not crisp.
Also, be careful about eye drops with preservatives. I was using them to try to save money for the past couple weeks and my eyes started having a toxic reaction to the preservatives. For 15 mins after using preservative drops my eyes would burn and I was totally out of focus. So like 1 week ago I switched back to the individually Preservative-Free drops and my eyes got over the toxic feeling. Now once again when I put in the drops my eyes see perfect.
The Doctor said I have dry eyes and he put me on Restasis. He said to use it for 3 months and then come back for a recheck.
My question is- Is what the doctor said 100% correct?
That lubricant eye drops dont clear up astimatism but they do clear up dry eyes? He said if it was astimatism that eye drops would make no difference.
GrandpaJohn

Postby LasikExpert » Mon May 26, 2008 5:52 am

You may want to read our article about Lasik dry eye treatment.

Preservatives in artificial tears are minor toxins. They kill things that we really don't want growing in our artificial tears. Some people are allergic to these preservatives and if using them often you are essentially putting mild toxins in your eyes. This is why preservative-free artificial tears are so important during the early healing stage and when using artificial tears very often.

Artificial tears do several things besides the obvious of adding moisture. They create a smooth surface. Think how irregular the ocean floor is, but how smooth is the surface. Artificial tears do the same thing. They can resolve very minor astigmatism by flowing to the lower level of the cornea.

The article referenced above includes tips about how to determine what kind of tear problem you may be encountering and ideas on how you can help the situation.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Follow up questions to Glenns response

Postby GrandpaJohn » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:11 pm

Glenn, Thanks very much for your response. The "ocean" example really helps me understand.
You said "Artificial tears do several things besides the obvious of adding moisture. They create a smooth surface."
So does this mean when my eyes start producing tears properly it should make my eye a smooth surface consitently and that should clear up any residiual uncrispness in distance vision?
I am 3 months post op now and on Restasis for 3 wks now. I am still puzzled if I have Astimatism or if my uncrisp vision is caused by dry eye? Also from your response I am wondering if my eyes might still have uneven spots and is still healing from the lasik surgery?
The doctor said if it was "astimatism" causing the uncrisp vision then the eye drops wouldnt correct that. He says the temporary crisp vision I get with eye drops proves to him that I have dry eye and not left over uncorrected astimatism. What are your thoughts on his diagnosis?
Thanks again, John
GrandpaJohn

Postby mgear356 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:15 pm

Ah grandpa john your questions are somehow very similar to mine..
My right eye also temporary clears up when i put eye drops to it. My doctor says that i have around 100degree myopia remaining
After like 30secs it starts to become blur.
I am near 4 months after my lasik and seriously the thoughts of going back for enhancement sux
mgear356

Postby GrandpaJohn » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:36 pm

Please keep me posted on your recovery.
Like you I have no desire to get the touch up surgery. Before I had surgery I had to wear glasses to do anything, now I can watch TV or be on the computer, etc and I see good enough. Its my distance that bites. What if I get a touch up and I get distance sharp but all my midrange gets messed up? That would be a bad trade off since most my time is spent living and working in midrange settings. I am frustrated and hoping that my distance will get better as my dry eye problem clears up.
Another thought, maybe at 6 months if I have no progress I might decide to get just 1 eye touched up for clearer distance and keep the other eye for close to midrange. I tried contacts for monovision and didnt like it but one eye was for only reading no midrange so I think I could adjust to this if I had to.
Tomorrow I will have been on Restasis for 1 month. I think I notice a small amount of new moisture but its really hard to know forsure yet.
Thanks for your input.
GrandpaJohn

Postby mgear356 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:20 pm

just a quick update..
Good news

since 2 days back, my right eye i can feel that it has become 25-50 myopia..
it got better..

I discovered that looking at computer for long, it does not make it worst..

well i was quite surprised that even near 4 months it still can recover..

let's hope for the best.. :)
mgear356

Postby GrandpaJohn » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:15 am

Thats Awesome and I really appreciate your sharing. Since I am now at 3 1/2 months I too hope for more healing. Glad things are getting better for you. I think the restasis is starting some small improvement for my dry eyes.
GrandpaJohn

Return to Just Had It