Restasis Use

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Restasis Use

Postby ptmccain » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:30 am

OK, so, I get these two big tubs with the individual doses of Restasis. They say you are supposed to break off the top, use a couple drops in each eye, then throw away the rest.

What happens if I use the whole amount in both eyes?
Or, any problem putting the cap on and using the rest at the end of the day?

Thanks for the good information on this site.
ptmccain

Postby rosecmd » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:56 pm

No!!! Just one drop in each eye twice per day (morning & night) is what most doctor's prescribe. It's a drug and has a dose...two drops in eye at one time is too much drug and besides, it will make your eyes sting. It's like taking or administering twice the dose of any medication.

You can get a little stand thing from your doc or ask the pharmacist and then you can use each vial for both the am & pm dose. It's true that there is more in each vial than you will use for one drop in each eye. I've also kept mine in a clean baggie on their side and used then later.

The instructions say just use them for one dose and throw away, but that does seem wasteful. I've been using only one vial of Restasis each day since it was prescribed. I only keep mine opened ones for 12 hours, but it does seem like there is almost enough for three doses (6 drops) in each vial.
rosecmd

Postby ptmccain » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:10 pm

Thanks....stupid me. I have been dumping the whole vial into each eye, alternating before I run out. And I've been wondering, "Wow, is this supposed to sting this much?"

Duh.

But, I must have kicked started something, because my eyes are feeling better today.

But I only put one drop in each eye this morning, and then put the open vial in an empty pill bottle, so it stands up and has a cover on it.

I'll be using only one vial per day, I'm sure, and only one drop, in each eye at a time!
ptmccain

Postby Walt » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:56 am

I also got the little stand that the company hands out to doctors. I put the open vial in a Glad plastic food container, seal the lid, and place it in my fridge.

I get 3 doses out of each vial. (24 hours sealed in the fridge after opening) I also make sure to place the unopened vial for my next dose in the fridge because the drops feel better cool.
Walt

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:49 pm

Each mL of Restasis contains: Active: cyclosporine 0.05%. Inactives: glycerin; castor oil; polysorbate 80; carbomer 1342; purified water and sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH. None of these ingredients are a preservative, so Restasis can deteriorate rather quickly.

I have not yet been able to get anyone with Allergan, the manufacturer of Restasis, to tell me officially how long a vial can remain open without reducing the effectiveness or raising the risk of undesired contamination. As an unscientific general guideline, preservative-free artificial tears are (unofficially) okay for about 24 hours after opening if refrigerated and kept in an closed environment.

Officially, both should be open, used, and discarded. That does seem like a bit of a waste.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

4 Doses

Postby BabsCline » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:15 pm

My Dr provided me with the stand for the vial and told me to use for 4 doses (two days worth) so my vials are open for about 36 hours. Even so, when she prescribed 30 days worth, the pharmacist gave me 60 vials. I've been using for about 6 weeks and haven't had any problems.
BabsCline

Postby maimai » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:05 am

How do you get 60 dosages? My Restasis comes in two tubes of 32 vials each. Because of this I got the most frustrating and confusing Restasis order.

I paid a double copay for my Restasis and did not realize it until I came in for a refill. The drug store said it was too soon for the refill. Then I checked with my insurance and found out that the doctor's office prescribed 32 days and 3 refills. So I had to pay the 2nd tier of copay. Each tier covers 1 to 30 days.

Then I requested a 90 day supplies for a mail order from my doctor's office. They faxed in the order. This time I still got two tubes of 64 vials and paid the copay for the 90 day supplies mail order. For the second time, my doctor's office still prescribed 32 days with 3 refills. I called the insurance and the doctor's office to explain the situation but I still have to pay more than what I get.

My doctor's office didn't know that they should have prescribe 30 days then 90 days instead of 32 days. I talked to a friend who is a pharmacist. He said that he would give the same amount of medication 2 tubes for 30 day supplies.

Right now, I am still frustrated with all this. I should have pay less and get more medications. It was all the doctor's office fault. Of course I did not say this to them. My doctor is a good doctor.
If you ever need Restasis, check your drug plan coverage and your doctor's order.
maimai

How to use Restasis after Lasik

Postby Definitely Irritated » Tue May 13, 2008 1:00 am

I'll be interested to hear of Allergan's response, if any, from LasikExpert.

I was so surprised to stumble on this discussion! I had the SAME questions/situations as you all have brought up.

When I first got Restasis (about 3 weeks after PRK), the surgeon's office didn't tell me anything. Just gave me a prescription with a voucher for a free first order.

I got home, opened up the tub, and was like "Uhmmm okay.... sooo uhhh..."

I was dumping one vial of Restasis in each eye until it was empty. So 4 vials per day.

Then I did some Googling because at $126 per tub, this really didn't seem like it was going to work for me. I went back to my doctor and said yo what's the deal here...

They gave me 24 sample vials they had, and a new prescription. Apologized for the problem. They also gave me the little blue holder thing.

This is what I'm doing......

- Open one vial.
- One drop in each eye. Try to keep the eye closed for a minute if you can.
- Put vial in blue holder (you can get it from your doctor or pharmacist - they may or may not have them, they come from the Allergan sales reps)
- Place blue holder in a clean area of your refrigerator
- Use vial again for next dosage
- Discard

I'm not entirely convinced Restasis has done anything for me, actually.. but I saw the commercials, Googled, asked my doctor, and he said it was worth a shot.

I paid $80 copay for a 90 day supply which, after my surgeon's creative prescription-writing, ended up being more like a 6 month supply.

Once this supply is out, I'll stop using Restasis.
Definitely Irritated

Postby Rocksville » Tue May 13, 2008 10:06 pm

I just got a prescription for 6 months. They gave me 2 tubs of 32 vials (so 64 total I guess (haven't opened them yet)) and it was $72. I was about to kill a baby panda or something having to pay an extra $72 per month on a prescription drug that I don't really know why I need (I see 20/20, the DLK has cleared up nicely according to the doc, and my eyes don't feel any more dry than they used to be in contacts), but I guess 64 vials will last me 60-90 days. Thats more palletable.

I guess the Dr's prescribe based upon what you "should" be doing. That is using one vial in the morning and one in the evening. So 64 would only last a month. If you can use 1 vial for the morning and evening then the prescription should be half--but either they have some liability to prescribe it that way or they get some sort of kick back from the drug company for moving more of their product.

I like my doc, so I'm not pointing fingers. Just my theory.
Rocksville

Return to Just Had It