I had wavefront optimized LASEK with Allegretto Eye-Q

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

1 year post-op

Postby RobyRob » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:13 pm

1 year post-op:

My cycloplegic refraction:
Left: -0.50 SPH -0.25 CYL
Right: -0.50 SPH -0.50 CYL

I will have enhancement surgery this month.

My surgeon says that for such lower prescriptions we must overcorrect by 0.25. So to get 0.50 we must enter 0.75.

Glenn, have you ever heard of this theory?
RobyRob

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:21 am

Regression is when a person's refractive error moves back toward the original refractive error. Regression is very common for myopes (nearsighted) over about 6.00 diopters and just about all hyperopes (farsighted) patients. A common method to resolve expected regression is to overcorrect the patient and let regression bring you back to the actual target.

Regression is unheard of in a healthy eye with only 0.50 diopter myopia. Your doctor wanting to overcorrect you makes no sense to me unless you are actually hyperopic, but your stated history indicates you are only very mildly myopic.

I honestly cannot think of a reason why your doctor should overcorrect you into hyperopia (and can think of many reasons why s/he should not.

You need to talk with your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby RobyRob » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:33 pm

My doctor says that this is manufacturer's (Wavelight) nomogram: for prescriptions lower than -1.75 add -0.25 to get outcome 0.00.
He has no other arguments to do this.

I have surgery on Monday.

Glenn, what do you think, should I let him do it or not?
RobyRob

How about now?

Postby Blindbat2007 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:14 pm

How is your vision now?
Blindbat2007

1 month post enhancement

Postby RobyRob » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:52 pm

The enhancement surgery was not successful.
They only did the right eye, they refused to do the left.

This was entered into laser:
SPH -0.50 CYL -0.25

My current refractive state is:
SPH -1.00 CYL -0.00

Spherical prescription actually increased twice. I didn't know this is possible. They said enhancement surgery is even safer than first surgery.

Anyway I'm done with refractive surgery. In couple of months I will try silicone hydrogel contacts. With astigmatism gone I won't need expensive toric lenses.

Hope this information helps someone.
RobyRob

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:57 am

I have a feeling that your are suffering from corneal edema (inflammation) that has caused your cornea to become about 6 microns (one tenth of a hair width) thicker. If everything was done correctly, this is the only way I can imagine that you could become more myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) after enhancement surgery.

The good part is that inflammation will go down with time. You are one month postop and should start seeing improvement, if improvement from healing is going to occur.

Please come back after your three month postop visit and let us know where you are.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

3 months post enhancement

Postby RobyRob » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:10 pm

My vision in operated eye has improved a lot.

My estimated manifest refraction:
SPH -0.50 CYL 0.00

Prescription started to improve fast after I stopped taking steroid drops. I now see totally equal with left and right eye. My near vision is razor sharp because astigmatism is gone, the same goes for distant vision with -0.50 glasses. Work with computer (my job) is now very comfortable. I just have minimal problems with dry eye. I am very pleased.
RobyRob

6 months post enhancement

Postby RobyRob » Tue May 13, 2008 5:04 pm

My vision in operated eye is even slightly better than in the other one.
Dry eye is completely gone.
I haven't wore my -0.5 glasses in months.
I don't even think about my eyes any more. And I definitely don't plan any more surgeries.
To conclude: I am satisfied. :D
RobyRob

Previous

Return to Just Had It