EPI - Lasik

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

EPI - Lasik

Postby billhubard » Tue May 13, 2008 2:28 pm

Hi

I had Epi-Lasik over 3 weeks ago. I have had alot of problems. My vision is still blurry. I saw the dr. last Friday and he put in temporary eye duct plugs. Seemed to help for a few hours but now back to where I started. The dr. seemed clueless to some degree as to why I was not seeing 20/20. At first he wanted me to pay for these plugs but ended up doing it for free. Gee Thanks, since they changed my procedure at the last minute. Just said something like, your cornea is warped, so we are going to do this procedue instead. Not much different they said, but will have contact bandage for a few days. I thought ok. They said nothing about the healing process or pain I would experienc. A lawsuit might be nice. Anyway, just angry and upset at this point. Need some Support.

Thanks,
sue
billhubard

Postby Olof_LASEK_Sweden » Tue May 13, 2008 5:18 pm

Hi Sue,
What was your prescription? Weeks 2-3 were my biggest "worry weeks" with very little improvement, even though I had MMC with which it is supposed to heal faster, and not so strong prescription.

Now after almost 7 weeks I don't think about the operation in daylight settings, the daylight vision is splendid.
Olof_LASEK_Sweden

epi lasik

Postby billhubard » Tue May 13, 2008 5:48 pm

Hi,

my prescription was -3.75 and -4.00 with a little astimatism in right eye.
billhubard

I would be a bit wary...

Postby catnmus » Tue May 13, 2008 5:53 pm

I agree with Olof. I had Epi-Lasik, and from about week one and a half to week three, I saw no improvement and was very nervous about it. I finally calmed myself by just saying that I would just need an enhancement, no big deal. But, by week four, my vision started improving again, and by week eight, I was 20/20 in that eye.

The fact that your doctor seemed clueless why you would not be 20/20 only 3 weeks after Epi-Lasik, makes me think he doesn't have much experience with this procedure! In retrospect, my doctor (the optometrist co-managing my care) made me nervous by not being more confident himself. I feel that he should have told me "at 3 weeks, it's really too early to tell." He did KIND of say that, but it was more like "it's not uncommon for healing to take longer", rather than "this is typical and perfectly normal". Then again, maybe it depends on the degree of correction. I was -7.00 in that eye.

PS, I have had the same experience when my second eye was done. Steady improvements the first week or so, then it stalled for about 10 days, with no improvements, then it started improving again. It's been over 9 weeks now and this one seems to have truly stalled at 20/40, so I will probably need an enhancement.

PS, on the mitomycin C, I thought that was just to reduce the chance of haze.
catnmus

Postby Olof_LASEK_Sweden » Tue May 13, 2008 5:55 pm

OK, I was -3 in both with some astig in the left. It was the mentally most challenging period after 3 weeks. Nothing to do but wait, hope and pray. I was lucky to get of the steroids only 30 days post op, which is quicker than most other doctors' schedules. A lot of folks speed up in healing when they are on lower or no steroid drops. Hopefully, you have some less or no steroids coming up in a few weeks, right?
Olof_LASEK_Sweden

Re: I would be a bit wary...

Postby Pappy » Tue May 13, 2008 8:10 pm

catnmus wrote:PS, on the mitomycin C, I thought that was just to reduce the chance of haze.

My understand of MMC is it does two things. Primarily reduced risk of haze but it also "normalizes" the regression in the eye allowing for less over correction initially and for the lazers to be more uniformly used for each patient (a little less guesswork).

My story is up here some where. But EPi-Lasik extremely similar the epithelial die off that occurs after the fact (while PRK it's all new growth) is the biggest difference.

Good luck on your healing.
Pappy

20/20

Postby billhubard » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:24 am

Hi,

Just wanted to update. I had an appt. last week and am now seeing 20/20 and 20/15. I guess the key to epilasek is patience. Anyone out there needs to know the healing time is much longer. Thanks
billhubard

Return to Just Had It