what to expect?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

what to expect?

Postby chrissy » Fri May 16, 2008 2:32 pm

I am going for my first Lasik consult on Monday. I am 30 years old, and have been in toric contacts for ~17 years. I will have been in glasses for 2 weeks prior to the appt (I hate them!) My prescription is right eye: -7.00 -1.75 left eye: -6.00 -1.5
I think this is a pretty significant astigmatism, and rather high level of nearsightedness.
So can anyone give me any idea what I may be told? Is Lasik a possibility? PRK? Any input would be appreciated. thanks :)
chrissy

Postby 3lix0r » Sat May 17, 2008 12:30 pm

Hi Chrissy,

I was about the same thing, -7/-7.25. I don't remember what my astigmatism was (it was pretty bad, they told me I would have trouble with contacts but I wore them for 8 years) and they were able to correct that as well.
I was able to get custom intralase.

You can read my progress here:
http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert ... php?t=1776

Cheers
3lix0r

Re: what to expect?

Postby beingbobbyorr » Mon May 19, 2008 4:39 am

chrissy wrote:So can anyone give me any idea what I may be told?

You might be told to consider ICLs, especially if your cornea is thin.
beingbobbyorr

Postby LasikExpert » Tue May 20, 2008 12:50 am

Much will depend upon the thickness of your corneas and the overall health of your eyes. The obvious possible suggested techniques would be Lasik, All-Laser Lasik with a thin flap, a surface ablation technique like PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik, or phakic intraocular lenses (P-IOL). Let us know what your doctor says and we can talk about the relative advantages/disadvantages.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby chrissy » Tue May 20, 2008 9:07 pm

I had my lasik consult yesterday afternoon with [a national chain] center in Greensboro, NC (Dr. [KS]) My contact prescription is right eye: -7.0 -1.75
left eye: -6.0 -1.5
Cornea thickness was 550 and 560
I was told I am a candidate for Intralase and Lasik with the Alegretto laser. My pupils were 6 I think? What role does pupil size play, and is 6 normal?
Day of surgery is the day they do the wavefront scan. Should I be concerned that they did not do the wavefront scan at the eval? Also, the OD and Dr. [KS] seemed very confident in my being a good candidate. They said that the flap would be ~100 microns (I think it is microns), and the surgery would take off~150, leaving still 300 in the bed, which is safe.

Because I am very nearsighted will recovery be longer as far as when I can expect to see clearly? They are confident I can be corrected to 20/20. I guess I am just surprised that I am a candidate, as I was not expecting to qualify for Lasik, only PRK. Do surgeons commonly perform Lasik on highly myopic patients? And is 550 and 560 corneal thickness appropriate for someone of my level of myopia/astigmatism?

Note: Post edited to remove doctor and clinic name.
chrissy

Postby beingbobbyorr » Sun May 25, 2008 11:20 pm

chrissy wrote:I guess I am just surprised that I am a candidate, as I was not expecting to qualify for Lasik, only PRK. Do surgeons commonly perform Lasik on highly myopic patients? And is 550 and 560 corneal thickness appropriate for someone of my level of myopia/astigmatism?

Your cornea thickness & degree of myopia suggest that you're in the grey zone between Lasik/PRK and Phakic IOL/ICL. I can not recommend stronly enough to take your time and get consults from many different refractive surgeons.

I'm -7.50/-9.00 with 590-600 micron corneas, and I had:

4 doctors telling me Lasik
10 telling me ICL
1 said I should do either "SuperLasik" or RLE/CLE.

Yes, you read that right: I saw 15 refractive surgeons!

The valuable lesson I learned from that is encapsulated in the first 3 paragraphs under "Notes to prospective ICLâ„¢ patients" (towards the bottom of http://iclquestions.angelfire.com/)
beingbobbyorr

Return to Thinking About It