Third time the charm?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Third time the charm?

Postby jc17131 » Wed May 21, 2008 6:48 pm

I had LASIK about 8 years ago and by the 4th year in, I needed a touch up since I was wearing the glasses I got for driving at night during the day too. The touch up was 4 years ago, and my eyesight has been deteriorating again.

I'm considering my options and am thinking of either eventually getting contacts or getting PRK done. I'm afraid of increased side effects, since I got a couple after the touch up like floaters.

A couple of questions:

[1] What is the general thought on getting laser eye surgery for the third time? Is is not recommended?

[2] Is PRK after LASIK safe? I'm thinking if I go this route, I'll get it done one eye at a time. What is the recommended length of time between eyes? Would a month be a good enough time between surgeries?

Thanks!
jc17131

Re: Third time the charm?

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 22, 2008 4:36 pm

jc17131 wrote:[1] What is the general thought on getting laser eye surgery for the third time? Is is not recommended?

In theory you can have as many surgeries as possible (dozens?) until the cornea reaches the minimum safe thickness. For a healthy cornea, that is about 250 microns of untouched corneal tissue; more is always better.

jc17131 wrote:[2] Is PRK after LASIK safe?

PRK after Lasik can be safe and effective, but much depends upon the nature and amount of your regression. All laser eye surgery changes refractive error by thinning the cornea while reshaping it. The more change that is needed, the more tissue that needs to be removed. The doctor will not want to remove more tissue than the thickness of the flap.

jc17131 wrote:I'm thinking if I go this route, I'll get it done one eye at a time. What is the recommended length of time between eyes? Would a month be a good enough time between surgeries?

Planning for about a month is wise, but when to have the second surgery will depend upon the speed of recovery from the first. You may be able to have the surgery in less time or require more.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Length of time to wait

Postby catnmus » Thu May 22, 2008 5:33 pm

My doc generally schedules the second surgery for 5 weeks after the first. I ended up delaying mine another 3 weeks, because I wanted to make sure my first eye was going to be good enough to "carry" me during the healing time for the second eye. I basically cancelled the second appointment during the "disappointment period" (weeks 2-4), when it didn't seem my vision was ever going to get any better than about 20/40. But by the end of week 4 it was improving again, so I scheduled the second one. At the day-after post-op, the first eye measured 20/20! I'm very happy I waited until I was comfortable with the results from the first eye, before scheduling the second.
catnmus

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 22, 2008 5:54 pm

There is no need to add stress to the situation by having the second surgery before you have good vision in the first eye. A 20/Happy patient is always a better patient the second time.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby jc17131 » Thu May 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Thanks for the info Glenn.

Is there anyone out there who has had it done more than twice? Can you share your thoughts on your experience?

Also, can anyone recommend a PRK doctor in Manhattan?
jc17131

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 22, 2008 7:56 pm

You may want to read about Lasik enhancement or search this website for all the individual posts about enhancement.

You may want to consider the doctors we have certified in Manhattan. Be sure to say hello from me.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It