Custom Intralase vs Custom LASEK

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Custom Intralase vs Custom LASEK

Postby aimay » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:09 am

I'm considering between Custom Intralase and Custom LASEK. I have large pupils, ~8mm, and relatively thin cornea ~520 microns, for I have high myopia (950 or -9.5D each eye) and high astigmatism (~200).
I wasn't very keen on LASEK initially because I don't have good tolerance against alcohol in general, on skin etc, and also the thought of the pain and longer term recovery are not very appealing. Plus the possibility of haze. However the plus side is that the doctor would be able to ablate a larger region, because LASEK takes relatively less tissue, ~50microns before the refractive correction.
Intralase is more appealing due to the shorter recovery period and the fact that it's expected to be painless. However, with customized correction, the doctor would only be able to ablate less than 6mm, due to my relatively thin cornea and high myopia. Proper night vision is very important to me, and therefore the smaller ablation zone is a concern.
Any thoughts and comments on my options? Thanks!
aimay

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 22, 2008 5:25 pm

Considering your high myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision, you options are somewhat limited and there are several issues that would likely make your outcome less than excellent.

PRK or its cousins LASEK and Epi-Lasik would eliminate the Lasik flap and thereby provide about 100 microns more untouched corneal tissue. That is going to be very important for corneal stability.

Your very large pupils and high myopia are a combination that indicates a very high probability of night vision problems with any laser vision correction technique. Read our article about laser vision correction and pupil size issues.

You may want to explore a lens alternative to laser. If you are younger, a Phakic Intraocular Lens (P-IOL) or Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE) may be more appropriate.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It