RGP Lenses

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

RGP Lenses

Postby DEEZOS » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi,

Can someone tell me what is RGP lenses. I had lasik surgery & developed DLK & 9 months on I've still got scarring in my eyes-doctor syas it can take up to18 months!. My vision went worst after the lasik, 6.5/7.0. Am permanently on glasses-half blind without it! Thanks.
DEEZOS

Postby brightside74 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi

Rgp lenses are nothing more but a contact lens with the difference that their surface is harder than a normal soft lens.
Basically by putting them on, you would provide the eye with a rigid smooth and more regular surface an this would most probably help you with your problems after Lasik.

I unfortunately am one of the bad outcomes of Lasik, but found great help with RGPs, they helped me get rid of most of my HOA.

If you'd like more information I'd be glad to help
brightside74

Postby forress » Fri May 09, 2008 4:16 pm

brightside, did you get the RGP lenses from the famous Dr.G in Texas?

I'm also considering RGP lenses to help with starbursts and bad night vision but the cost of the lenses/fitting is almost as much as my LASIK surgery itself.
forress

RGP

Postby mbabylash » Fri May 09, 2008 10:59 pm

I went to Texas to visit Dr. G in April. The RGPs are very comfortable and I have never worn contacts. My only problem is still trying to get them in and out. But that is me the user not the contacts. They helped me about 75%. My close starbursts are gone with them in and it does help with some of the far ones. I still have some fuzz around lights.

Yes the trip was expensive but after all the problems I was having I really didn't care about the money I just wanted to see better.

I guess you could try to see another well known surgeon to see if more surgery is a option. But at least with contacts it is reversable.

Hope this helps and good luck. Email me if you have any questions or email Dr. G. He is great at emailing back. You can find his email on his website. Just look up Dr G Coppell TX
mbabylash

Postby forress » Sat May 10, 2008 5:31 am

mbabylash, saw from your profile that you're a pilot. I'm training to be an air traffic controller in one of the three major airports in NY. My problem is that I have large pupils, I'm 20/15 in the day and see starbursts and it's hard to see at night. I've been wearing a pair of glasses with a light prescription right now and can say it helps with the starbursts about 10-15%, but does not help at all with seeing in low light situation.

It's affecting my training because the high intensity runway and taxiway lights causes starbursts. And also, the dim lights inside the tower makes it hard for me to read a flight progress strip or any type of reading material. Can you say the RGPs helped you in these type of situations? Thanks for your input.
forress

Postby brightside74 » Mon May 19, 2008 11:57 pm

Hi

yes, I also went to see Dr. G and must say it was well worth the trip. I have same starbursting problem you seem to have and RGPs helped me a great deal. I really recomend you give it a try.

Good luck
brightside74

RGP LENSES

Postby DEEZOS » Tue May 20, 2008 8:14 am

Hi,

Is RGP lenses hard contact lenses, and are they expensive? I'm going to see an Optometrist today & he says it's hard contact lenses. Can someone confirm, please.

Thanks,
DEEZOS

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 22, 2008 6:00 pm

Rigid Gas Permeable (RGP) contact lenses are commonly called hard contact lenses.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby forress » Mon May 26, 2008 7:18 pm

Can anyone verify that RGP lenses can improve vision in low light conditions?
forress

Postby LasikExpert » Mon May 26, 2008 8:52 pm

Yes they can. RGP lenses can reshape the periphery of the cornea and correct that refractive error that causes night halo problems. You need a good contact lens fitter who knows how to deal with post refractive surgery eyes.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby forress » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:42 pm

Update 11/13/08

As noted in my earlier posts, I'm an Air Traffic Controller in training and my vision is 20/15 in the daytime but had been having night vision problems (lost of contrast, starbursts/halos and glare) and difficulty reading text in low light conditions. My LASIK doc prescribed a pair of glasses with a tiny prescription which eliminated about 10-20% of my HOA but did not improve reading in the low light conditions.

After many months of waiting because it was hard for me to take days off at work, I was finally able to visit the famous DrG in Dallas last month and had great results with his new wavefront RGP lenses. I got to see him custom design my lenses with his new imaging equipment and software, it's similar to how an architect uses AutoCad to design a building. And he's very good at this small niche of optometry. After a number of tests on the first day there, he was able to get me to try a trial pair of my custom RGPs on the second day. As soon as I put them on and he dimmed the lights in his office, I could tell a major difference.

I'm estimating DrG's lenses helped elimiate 90-95% of my HOA and I'm now able to read text when it's dark. I no longer have to solely depend on ground radar equipment at night and can look out the window and not be bothered by the high intensity taxiway and runway lights. And I can drive faster than 60mph at night. The difference is night and day, no pun intended.

Granted I still see a tiny bit of glare/starburst but it is no different than before my LASIK surgery. Overall, I'm glad I made to the trip to Dallas to see Dr. G. I would highly recommend anyone with post-LASIK vision problem to get in touch with Dr. G and his friendly staff.
forress

Return to Had It A While Ago