Comparing the Latest Lasers Available- HOT TOPIC!

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 29, 2008 4:07 pm

The cornea is not uniform. It is thinner in the center and thicker at the periphery, and even within small areas the thickness can be different. Different technology will often come up with different numbers. The cornea changes thickness with moisture and dehydration. Common medications can change corneal thickness.

The number to use for calculations should be the lowest number. That provides the greatest margin for error.

The thickness of the cornea is not the most important issue. What is important is the amount of untouched cornea after surgery. In a healthy cornea, at least 250 microns of cornea must remain untouched for the cornea to remain stable and more is always better.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby beingbobbyorr » Sat May 31, 2008 9:24 am

LasikExpert wrote:The cornea is not uniform. It is thinner in the center and thicker at the periphery, and even within small areas the thickness can be different. Different technology will often come up with different numbers. The cornea changes thickness with moisture and dehydration. Common medications can change corneal thickness.

It seems like when I've gone in for consults, the pachymetry (sp?) measurement uses a little pen-like device to sample the cornea thickness in the (more or less) center of the cornea .... do all/most Lasik surgeons do a more detailed 2-D profile of cornea thickness across the whole surface (i.e., during the detailed pre-op exam)? I'd be a little worried if they're basing everything on a sample of just one location.
beingbobbyorr

Postby salieeee » Sat May 31, 2008 11:25 am

I think most surgeons just do a pachymetry reading of the center of the cornea because it is the thinnest part and that's what they need to know, the thickness at the thinnest part.
salieeee

...my only advice

Postby manman33 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:48 pm

In general everybodies body reacts differently to any kindof surgery. I happen o be able to vow for myself as having been lucky.

Lasik eye surgery has allowed me to stop wering my glasses and waisting money on expensive purhases or a really nice pear of frames. Now I work on getting outfits to compliment my beautiful face that often hid behind my glasses. Typically by seeking consultation by the right eye doctor you can come along way. I can only offer what I know and who I've worked with. Last month I received my Lasik eye surgery out by chicago and my step brother will be doing the same.

[Redacted] assisted me in making sure i made the bet decision with a low cost evaluation and mthly payments that will not interefere wit bills.

Note: Commercial website redacted.
manman33

..my vision

Postby MrRossDollaz » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:11 pm

In general every bodies body reacts differently to any kind of surgery. I happen o be able to vow for myself as having been lucky.

Lasik eye surgery has allowed me to stop weiring my glasses and waisting money on expensive purchases or a really nice pear of frames. Now I work on getting outfits to compliment my beautiful face that often hid behind my glasses. Typically by seeking consultation by the right eye doctor you can come along way. I can only offer what I know and who I've worked with. Last month I received my Lasik eye surgery out by Chicago and my step brother will be doing the same.

[Redacted].com assisted me in making sure i made the bet decision with a low cost evaluation and monthly payments that will not interfere wit bills.

MrRossDollaz

various lasik offers.. comparison??

Postby ogledecipher » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:31 pm

well my girlfriend got Lasik done not too long ago and now shes recommending me to get rid of my contacts and get lasik done.
So im really considering getting one, and my friend recommended me this place called [redacted]
They claim to give out free [redacted] evaluation which values up to $250 and also provide 5 yrs of annual [redacted] follow up exams. And having informed on how important it is to check your eye conditions before and after surgery, it looks like a good deal, but I’m just curious with what you guys think about this whole deal and how this place looks. I don’t know what kinda deals and options other places offer, so can u guys check their website out at [redacted] and see if this place looks reliable at all. And btw, what kinda offer do other places give, especially following the surgery?

ogledecipher

Postby wavefront surfer » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:15 pm

Is Zyoptix 100 a very good device or not? I know that the surgeon is a very important part of the process, but if this laser it is too old I prefer to wait a lil bit more
wavefront surfer

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:28 pm

The Bausch & Lomb Technolas Zyoptix 217z wavefront-guided excimer laser had results equal or better to similar lasers during the US FDA clinical trials for approval. You can see the results at Zyoptix FDA.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: Comparing the Latest Lasers Available- HOT TOPIC!

Postby kness2 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:47 pm

Well its over a year since my surgery and I'd like to give an update:

A month after the surgery, my vision was 20/16 and 20/17- so the result was good. For the first time in 30 years I can wake up in the morning without having to scramble for my glasses.

A year later- my vision has degraded somewhat- probably because 1) my myopia was very high in the first place so I was more likely to regress and 2) I spend 8 hours a day in front of a computer monitor. I haven't gotten an eye test, so I don't know what my score is, but I suspect it is stabilized at around 20/20.

In retrospect, I'm glad that I did the significant research that I did on the various lasers available- because I was able to use my medical knowledge to control the one important aspect of my treatment. I wouldn't change anything about my decision (except maybe to use Intralase instead of a blade for my flap). I cannot control the fact that I work in front of a computer screen for many hours- which can cause some vision reversal.)

In view of some of the responses from people who are considering older Zyoptix Bausch & Lomb lasers, I'm baffled that you would even consider them. The whole point is to get the fastest laser and with the smallest "spot size". (The smaller the brush, the finer detailed the artwork will be.)

LasikExpert said above "For most patients the probability of a good outcome is about the same regardless of the laser so long as it is a current version. All the manufacturers tout their laser as the best, but for most patients the outcomes are very close to the same." It is important to note that "current version" is a highly subjective term and almost all of the lasers mentioned here are NOT the latest versions of their brands. Anyone with myopia worse than -3 is advised to get the best laser (described above) that they can afford.

The surgeon hardly does anything (except arrange the flap). The entire surgery is almost all done by the machine.

I had the choice of getting it done with the B&L 217z in Montreal for $4500, and I got it done with a laser with higher specs (Allegretto 400mhz) in India for $800. I wasn't disappointed.
kness2

Re: Comparing the Latest Lasers Available- HOT TOPIC!

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:51 am

Congrats on your research and your excellent result.

kness2 wrote:The surgeon hardly does anything (except arrange the flap). The entire surgery is almost all done by the machine.

On this we will need to disagree. As an example of what the surgeon does, if you are age 39, is full correction of myopia wise? Is it the best choice for you? If you are -2.00 should you do anything? If you are -6.00 would you be more satisfied? Should you have PRK or Lasik? Would a treatment plan for a long-haul truck driver be different than for a seamstress? Only an comprehensive exam by a competent surgeon with that surgeon's evaluation of your individual needs and requirements can determine how to set that laser to "all be done by the machine". And, of course, what if your result is not what is expected? The laser is not going to help you now.

Using the right tools is important, but no amount of technology can compensate for an inferior surgeon.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Thinking About It