When to have enhancement?

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

When to have enhancement?

Postby catnmus » Sat May 31, 2008 8:16 pm

I think I've come to the conclusion that I will need an enhancement on one eye.

I had Epi-Lasik on my left eye on Jan 8th, and on my right eye on March 4th. My left eye seems okay - it was 20/20 at 8 weeks, with a slight astigmatism, thought it then regressed a touch after about 13 weeks. My right eye was measured at about 20/40 at 8 weeks. It may also have an astigmatism. I don't think it has improved any since then (12 weeks). I've spent a week in a training course, and at the end of the day, I have headaches from having to squint to see the presentation. TV-watching is also difficult. Like I said, the right eye doesn't bother me much, and I'd already planned to get a good set of reading glasses and/or driving glasses, if necessary, to handle the astigmatism issues. But if I add on top of that glasses to handle distance viewing, well, it hardly seems worth it at all! So, I think I'm going to go for the enhancement on my right eye.

First question - does 20/40 seem reasonable for wanting an enhancement? I'm not sure what the prescription would be on that, and I don't have trouble driving or reading or working on the computer (much) but it's really not fun squinting to watch TV or read a presentation! In case it matters, my right eye is my dominant eye.

Also, because I had Epi-Lasik instead of flap-style Lasik, I'm assuming that I might be able to use a contact lens, if I don't have the enhancement.

The second question is, when to have the enhancement done. I'll be going to Machu Picchu in September, for 2 weeks at high altitude and then the Amazon basin (lucky me, I know!). When I consulted before my surgery and mentioned the possible need for enhancement, the doctor said, "Oh we'll just wait until after you get back", which seemed reasonable at the time. I have a one-year-of-free-enhancements agreement. I have heard on this board that most enhancements are done between 3 and 6 months. Next week it will be 3 months since my right eye was done. If I do it soon, it will have 3 months to heal and sharpen before I go to Peru, which would be kind of nice. If I wait until after, it will be done at about 7 months. But maybe that would be safer, just so that complications would not jeopardize my trip? But, what if the complications afterward require a third surgery, and that's after my one-year "guarantee"? Maybe the doctor is just trying to avoid having to give a freebie if I need a third? At that point the third surgery would be between 3 and 5 months.
catnmus

Return to Had It A While Ago