LASIK three months ago

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

LASIK three months ago

Postby aska24 » Tue May 06, 2008 3:46 am

Hi. I had Intralase LASIK surgery three months ago. I was -6.50 in my right eye and -5.50 in my left. I now have 20/20 vision with both eyes, but my left eye is at -1.0 (I was told that I may need an enhancement later on).

From day 1, I have had dry eye problems. It is currently manageable and I am putting in preservative free drops several times a day. However, I am noticing that I have a constant headache due to eye strain I think. My left eye is especially dry and the headache is on the left side. I am not experiencing any of the typical dry eye symptoms such as scratchiness. It is more a dull feeling where my eyes just feel heavy. Could the problem be something else?

I am also noticing that my vision isn't quite right. It is hard to explain - it's a bit like double vision or ghosting but not quite. When I look into the distance, everything is very clear (20/20 vision I guess), but it's almost like my eyes are struggling to align the images. This is especially so when I'm looking at bright objects such as a computer screen or a television screen. What does this mean? Will this improve over time?

Also my night vision isn't so great - I can't see street signs very well and the traffic lights seem blurry. Will this improve over time?

I am going in for my three month post-op check up in a couple of days, but I thought I'd ask these questions on a forum as well.

Finally, if my the dryness in my left eye doesn't improve in the next 6 months, does that mean enhancement cannot be performed?

I know I am still at the three month mark and the normal healing process is 6 months. With LASIK post-op problems, do these complications subside eventually for most people? What are the statistics if there are any?
aska24

Re: LASIK three months ago

Postby LasikExpert » Tue May 27, 2008 6:20 pm

aska24 wrote:My left eye is especially dry and the headache is on the left side. I am not experiencing any of the typical dry eye symptoms such as scratchiness. It is more a dull feeling where my eyes just feel heavy. Could the problem be something else?

It is common for dry eye to be worse in one eye than the other and this may be contributing to the pain, but you may also be dealing with Lasik related eye strain because your left eye is myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) by 1.00 diopter. See our article about Lasik dry eye treatment.

aska24 wrote:...but it's almost like my eyes are struggling to align the images. This is especially so when I'm looking at bright objects such as a computer screen or a television screen.

It is possible, though unlikely, that the left eye has an image that is slightly different in size than the right eye. The imbalance between the eyes' image size can cause the blur you describe. What is much more likely is that this relates to the dry eye problems.

aska24 wrote:Finally, if my the dryness in my left eye doesn't improve in the next 6 months, does that mean enhancement cannot be performed?

The dry eye will need to be managed and/or accommodated during the surgery. A dry cornea requires less laser energy to gain the same effect.

aska24 wrote:What are the statistics if there are any?

Visit our article on Lasik results.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby boston » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:56 am

I have seen my eye doctor (at the most popular Lasik center in Boston) and they say, IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY ISSUES WITH DRY EYE, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO USE GEL/OINTMENT (E.G. GENTEAL GEL) EVERY SINGLE NIGHT WITHOUT FAIL. QUITE OFTEN THIS RESOLVES THE PROBLEM OVER TIME. The eye needs to be well lubricated and moisturized in order to heal properly, for best healing results.
Again, use gel every night, even if you seem to not need it entirely. I myself have just ordered the tranquil eyes nightime goggles for sleeping in, from The Dry Eye Shop in order to do this treatment, although Im sure a cheap $2 sleep mask would also help some, but this will help keep my eyes even further lubricated and healthy. She said do this for a month and lets check them again.
Good luck.
And wish me luck as well. I am 10 months post op, and still having a little dryness which can sometimes be bothersome as well.

Peace
boston

Postby aska24 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:37 am

thanks for the replies. i went for my three month check up last month and i was told that i still had some dry spots and some white spots (inflammatory cells). i was put on steroid drops for a few weeks, which cleared up the white spots and now, 4 months on, i don't have any dry spots. but my eyes (my left eye mostly) still feel dry...i am keeping up with the genteal every night and lubricant drops twice a day. when i talk about dryness, they just feel a bit heavy and sore. not gritty or scratchy, which is how dry eyes are usually described.

i must say however, the dry eyes have definitely improved over the last four months. do you think the problem will be fully resolved? i don't want to have to live with this forever.
aska24

Return to Had It A While Ago