PRK and blurry vision

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

PRK and blurry vision

Postby jkl » Fri May 30, 2008 4:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I had PRK surgery in July 2007. Things went pretty much as I was told and I was very happy with the results until recently. Corneas and everything looked good as recently as January 2008.

In the past few months or so I have noticed that my vision was not as sharp as it was before. My vision while watching TV or using the computer has also become a little worse as well.

I wasn't too concerned because I know people who have had halos and starbursts in their vision for about the first year.

However, today I had a follow up appointment and was told that my corneas are no longer as clear as they should be. Apparently, some type of white cells (forget the name) have started to form on them. These cells are part of the eyes normal healing process and I believe that the steroid drops are supposed to prevent them from forming. The doctor told me that it is unusual for these cells to develop at this late date. She also wanted me to have my next appointment sooner rather than later and recommends that I have another surgery. She contends that another surgery should solve the problem.

This new development concerns me. Anybody know if I should be concerned or is this more common than I realize and not that big of a deal.
jkl

Postby tiggy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:06 pm

Hi JKL-
I am so sorry to hear this. My surgery was 1/2007 and recently I have noticed more glare and a worsening of my vision. Today I came to the board seeking some explaination.

Is the only solution to the new cells surgery? Are they related at all to sun exposure or such?

It is frusterating to not be able to see well. Please keep us posted on yor progress.

Tigs
tiggy

Hi tiggy,

Postby jkl » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:54 pm

Things actually went well for me until a few weeks ago. The surgery went as advertised and as of January 2008 my cornea looked fine and had 20/30 vision.

From what I can tell I have developed "late onset corneal haze". I was severely near sighted and had PRK so I was at increased risk for this.

I don't know if sunlight and UV exposure is the cause, but I was told to start wearing the sunglasses that I was given after surgery.

From what I can tell online, my options are basically redo PRK surgery. That is what the doctor recommended, but I see the surgeon in two weeks to get his opinion. I did see some mention online of trying steroids, but it seems like most of the information is about another procedure. I'm just now sure why I should expect another surgery to turnout any better.

Right now it is just a nuisance and I can still function quite well. Hopefully, I can avoid a second PRK procedure.
jkl

Postby questionkid » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:25 pm

hi JKL,

I have a high prescription and am getting PRK done this july.
Could you keep us posted on your situation?

Is it recommended that sunglasses be worn at all times after surgery (even a year later?)

thanks!
questionkid

I was told to wear my sunglasses for one month after surgery

Postby jkl » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:07 pm

That is what I did. Since my problem developed I have been looking on the web and noticed that some doctors recommend you wear sunglasses for 6 to 12 months.

If I have surgery again, I will wear sunglasses for longer than recommend this time around.
jkl

Postby questionkid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:45 pm

thanks for sharing jkl..
hope your eyes feel better soon!
questionkid

Return to Had It A While Ago