Burning feeling...please help with advice.

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Burning feeling...please help with advice.

Postby Saleh Ridha » Mon May 05, 2008 3:24 pm

Hi! I had my Lasik done about nine months ago. I did it at the []Hospital in Damascus, Syria. It is one of the best places in that country. The doctor (Dr. [ZB]) was very experienced, and they used the Wavelight Allegretto but I don't know which flap cutting machine they used-it wasn't a laser though.
I have 20/15-clear, crisp vision, no halos or any other defects. So I'm very happy with my vision. But I sometimes feel a burning sensation in my left eye, especially when I'm right infront of an AC or when the wind is blowing in my face-like when I'm driving. Sometimes I get this burning type feeling in my right eye too. I live in Saudi Arabia-and it's very hot and dry here. I don't use any kind of eye drops because I don't want to get dependant on them.
What do you think causes a burning feeling in the eye-especially in one eye? Can it resolve by itself?
Finally is it really true that a Lasiked cornea with a flap is only 5% as strong as an unlasiked cornea? I mean isn't the flap only as thick as a sheet of typing paper? How could that cause corneal weakness? Thanks so much.

Note: Post edited to remove name of clinic and doctor.
Saleh Ridha

Postby boston » Tue May 13, 2008 1:06 am

I experience the same thing, and its unfortunate. I also hope this will still get better with time. Its been ten months for me.

It is most likely caused by dry eye.

Do you wake up with dryness in your eyes,
and do you see starbursts at night?

I hope you get better.

I got mine done at the Boston Eye Clinic, one of the biggest and most popular in Boston. Dr. Melki. And I am very upset that they do this to all people without a clear explanation that dry eye can be a permanent symptom. They give you a form at the very last minute, while you're all ready and waiting, but then the employees say, "you should be fine". Its a sham.

Anyways, there is a guy on here who progressively got better over the course of about 18 months. His eyes made significant improvements. He posted under my "Dry Eye" post.
I hope you get better.

Boston
boston

Re: Burning feeling...please help with advice.

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 22, 2008 6:29 pm

Saleh Ridha wrote:I sometimes feel a burning sensation in my left eye, especially when I'm right infront of an AC or when the wind is blowing in my face-like when I'm driving.

This sounds like normal dry eye caused by the AC or the wind. You should have your tear quantity and quality checked by your local eye doctor and consider using preservative-free artificial tears when you are in these environments. We have a detailed article about dry eye treatment that you may find interesting.

Saleh Ridha wrote:Finally is it really true that a Lasiked cornea with a flap is only 5% as strong as an unlasiked cornea?

No. About six decades of practical experience has shown that a healthy eye will remain stable so long as about 250 microns of tissue remains untouched - more is always better.

Saleh Ridha wrote:I mean isn't the flap only as thick as a sheet of typing paper? How could that cause corneal weakness?

The Lasik flap itself provides little strength to the cornea overall. This is why it is the untouched cornea that is the important issue. Although the flap does provide a little strength, most doctors do not consider it in their calculations.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby boston » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:00 am

I have seen my eye doctor (at the most popular Lasik center in Boston) and they say, IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY ISSUES WITH DRY EYE, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO USE GEL/OINTMENT (E.G. GENTEAL GEL) EVERY SINGLE NIGHT WITHOUT FAIL. QUITE OFTEN THIS RESOLVES THE PROBLEM OVER TIME. The eye needs to be well lubricated and moisturized in order to heal properly, for best healing results.
Again, use gel every night, even if you seem to not need it entirely. I myself have just ordered the tranquil eyes nightime goggles for sleeping in, from The Dry Eye Shop in order to do this treatment, although Im sure a cheap $2 sleep mask would also help some, but this will help keep my eyes even further lubricated and healthy. She said do this for a month and lets check them again.
Good luck.
And wish me luck as well. I am 10 months post op, and still having a little dryness which can sometimes be bothersome as well.

Peace
boston

Postby Saleh Ridha » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:24 pm

Thanks a lot for this advice. My doctor here in Riyadh wrote me a gel prescription but I didn't use the gel as I think it is too artificial. But, as you say, the most popular lasik center in Boston says it can even speed up healing. I had my surgery about nine months ago and I use almost no lubrication. I hope it's not too late to start using the gel. Anyway-thank you very much for this info. I'm going to purchase the gel TONIGHT! Could you please tell me if the gel can still be effective for healing-after nine months of no lubrication? I only lubricated my eyes for the first two or three weeks after the surgery. Look's like you're taking great care of your eyes and your eyes WILL get cured-God willing. And thanks so much for your concern.
Salam.
Saleh Ridha

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:58 pm

Proper lubrication will do two things; promote healing and reduce damage from dry eyes. You have little to lose and much to gain by following your doctor's advice about artificial tears and nighttime lubrication gels.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago