I'm back in glasses!

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

I'm back in glasses!

Postby LauraD » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:02 am

Yep, 6 weeks after my lasik and I'm back in glasses. Isn't that FUN?? My vision was never 20/20 afterwards. Not even for a minute. I had clear vision in my left for a while and blurry in my right. Then the left was getting worse. I use my drops more then I care to mention. I finally had it because I couldn't drive due to not being able to read the signs and I had to walk out of Starbucks because I couldn't see the menu.

I had my 6 weeks check up yesterday, and the Dr. said yes, there is some nearsightedness now and it's most likely they will have to do the procedure again in June and that it's common. But he said my dry eye situation has greatly improved and the wean off the drops. I asked for a prescription for glasses for the rough patches like night time. I picked up my new glasses today and I can finally see. The best part is now when I take them off it's as if I never had the procedure done at all despite the fact that my new script is no way near as bad as my old one.

I hate to have to go through with this again. It's a good thing I didn't book a vacation.
LauraD

Postby BAM17 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:51 pm

Oh Laura...that's such a bummer. What was your original script..do you know? I saw my MD Friday...and I still have some near-sightedness in my left eye. I'm 4 1/2 weeks out now. I asked him if it would get any better...and he wasn't sure. He then said we could talk about possible enhancement at my next visit in a month. I honestly don't know if I can go through that again. I may end up back in glasses for good. How much nearsightedness do you have now? It is a bit discouraging. I was a -6.50 right, and -6.25 in left before. I still have extremely dry eyes...just went out and bought the flax seed oil last night...I'm going to give that a try. It certainly is a much longer process than I though. I'm 35, work full time, have two little kids...and attend graduate school. Had I known that it would be this complex of a healing time, I would not have done it at this time in my life. Hopefully we can offer encouragement to each other!
BAM17

Postby LauraD » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:43 am

Hi Bam, thanks for replying. My pre lasik prescription was -3.75 in each eye. (I know weird to have the same in each eye) now it's -1.00 or something like that. Funny, my eyes feel great and I've only put the drops in twice the whole day. (maybe the liquid flaxseed oil I've been taking for a week helps).

Everything is so sharp with my glasses on that I just can't imagine my eyes seeing that way without them. It's hard to think it's possible. I can still see soooo much better without them then before my procedure. I can cross the street at least and walk my dogs during the day (forget about night, need the glasses) I drove today with my glasses and I was so much less nervous.

We will all see what happens in a month and if my script is the same and is steady, I'm sure I'll go through with it again. I think because I didn't realize how fast the dry eye situation would cease and I am not sensitive to light at all.

I'll keep you informed. Have a great night.
LauraD

Postby grumpyteach » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:34 am

Please, don't feel too bad...I had -1.25 and -1.75 after my first procedure, and had to have an enhancement in January...it was worth it, definitely. Now I have better than 20/20 vision!
grumpyteach

Postby BAM17 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:33 pm

Did they explain to you why you had so much nearsightedness left over? What happened?
BAM17

Postby LauraD » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:26 pm

grumpyteach wrote:Please, don't feel too bad...I had -1.25 and -1.75 after my first procedure, and had to have an enhancement in January...it was worth it, definitely. Now I have better than 20/20 vision!

Thank you so much grumpy. That is very encouraging.
LauraD

Postby LauraD » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:29 pm

BAM17 wrote:Did they explain to you why you had so much nearsightedness left over? What happened?

Yes, he said that at time the cornea will fight back and not take the shape it's suppose to as if it's rejecting it. He wants to see me at the end of May to determine if it's improved and if not talk about enhancement in June.

I sometimes think that wearing my glasses is completely destroyed any chances I had for my eye to miraculously end up where they should be. I'm trying so hard not to wear them. Yesterday I didn't put them on till lunch time at work and right now I haven't worn them yet today. But at night I must have them.
LauraD

Postby grumpyteach » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:19 am

I was actually given contact lenses, and was told that glasses/contacts would NOT affect how the original LASIK is going to 'take'.

The only thing not wearing your glasses will achieve? Maybe a missed turnoff, or even worse, a crash!

My timeline was LASIK Sept 07 and enhancement Jan 08.

Do you have a supportive optometrist? Are you able to have unlimited appointments with him? I found this to be invaluable. My optometrist was incredibly supportive, and very sympathetic too.

Hang in there!
grumpyteach

Postby LauraD » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:15 pm

Grumpy thanks again. I can't wear contacts which made want to get the lasik. I will continue wearing my glasses as needed which seems to be late afternoon to evening. My eyes are just straining too much by then. Mornings are actually good and I see the clearest.

My optomotrist at my center is a doll and I can always contact him. He is there much of the time too.

Many thanks!
LauraD

Postby music » Fri May 30, 2008 5:56 am

Hi Laura,
I had my Lasik in mid-July of 2007, and had many problems afterward, including needing to have various pairs of glasses made to accomodate the vision problems I was experiencing due to dry-eye, undercorrection, & regression--all at the same time! My eye-surgeon assured me that wearing glasses in order to get one through the transition to whatever happens, whether it's gradual healing of the eyes and improvement of vision, or enhancement later will NOT effect how the eyes heal, that the glasses holding-back your eyesight is a myth. Please continue to drive using your glasses, especially at night, and know that alot of healing comes about when dry-eye finally resolves itself.
music

Postby LauraD » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:33 pm

Hi Music, I am getting an enhancement done this Friday. It will be exactly 3 months. Apparently, my right eye regressed. I guess it didn't want to take seeing unaided. My left eye is not as bad so the Doctor wants to do it one eye at a time.

I'll keep you posted. :)
LauraD

Postby armyvet » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:23 am

Good luck Laura. ME - hell no I ain't goin' again under the knife!!!! It can make it worse and I think I was happier with glasses where I didn't have a problem waking up at 5 in the morning.....keep us posted. God Bless!
armyvet

Sucess!

Postby LauraD » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:34 pm

Well I had my enhancement on Friday on my rigth eye. He put a contact lense in overnight. Everythng was blurry from the contact lense. Of course I was nervious because what if it's not the contact. Next morning the doctor took it out and WHAM everything was clear. I haven't seen that clear without anything since I was 14.

My close up vision isn't so great in the right eye but I was told that would happen. So far the left eye is about 20/30 and he thinks it's a good idea to leave it like that so I can at least see my watch (apparently left eye has good close up vision) and this may help prevent reading glasses.

I sure do hope this stay this way. :)
LauraD

Postby armyvet » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:35 am

Honey you got COURAGE! I hope you get well and with no complications!!! Keep us posted!
armyvet

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:43 am

When an armyvet says you have courage, you know you have courage!

Congratulations on the enhancement outcome. Don't be surprised if you deal with those pesky dry eye issues again, but you know the routine and you seem very close to your desired result.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Next

Return to Just Had It