Giant papillary conjunctivitis

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Giant papillary conjunctivitis

Postby kyparamedic » Thu May 29, 2008 6:15 pm

What kind of problems can GPC cause for those who are wanting to have LASIK? I read on this site that it can be a problem, but not why. The place where I'm considering having LASIK done says I need to be out of my lenses (Focus Dailies Toric) for at least 21 days prior to the initial exam. They also said the GPC must be completely cleared up. Is 21 days sufficient time for it to clear up? I use Pataday drops every morning. I guess I should probably schedule an appt. with the optometrist and maybe get on a steroid to speed it up. The LASIK place didn't say anything about whether I could still be using the Pataday or not. For those who had LASIK and also suffered from GPC, did it go away once you got LASIK and stopped wearing contacts?

Thanks!
kyparamedic

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 29, 2008 7:31 pm

GPC is commonly associated with contact lens use. It must be fully resolved before surgery and the medications used to treat it must be fully dissipated before having surgery. Whether or not 21 days is long enough depends upon the specific nature of your GPC and the meds used. You will need to rely on the advice of your doctors on this.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby hnj22 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:27 pm

I had GPC and never did Pataday like I was supposed to. Once I made the decision to do Lasik, I started the drops right away (4/15). I stopped wearing my contacts on 4/30 and had my presurgical appointment on 5/16. No GPC was seen.

I had to stop the Pataday one week prior to surgery.

I had my procedure on 5/27 and there was no sign of GPC at my pre-op exam either. Again, everyone is different but that was my experience.
hnj22

Return to Thinking About It