Are you truly happy with your results ??

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Are you truly happy with your results ??

Postby vyper005 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:40 pm

I had my op on Feb 1st,2008...Intralase w/Wavefront...My total vision before the operation was 20/400 w/astigmatism in both eyes corrected to 20/20 with glasses.Right now my total vision is 20/30...not bad but not as crisp as before with glasses(very frustrating).My left has healed very well but I have had my right eye scraped & rinsed twice(with tools that looked like dental picks) because some cells had migrated underneath the flap(very rare condition) causing the slightly blurry vision.Has anyone else had this procedure done ?? Other then that I have had no problem with dry eye etc...

I go back in a month for a follow up (Hopefully no more cell growth).The doc said it takes 3-6 months for your eyes to fully stabilize so now its just a waiting game...hopefully I can get to 20/20 or 20/15.Do you guys think its possible ?? I guess if someone were to ask me if I was fully satisified right now I would have to say no...Like most people say,"I'd rather have perfect vision with glasses then mediocre vision without" Anyway...Are you guys truly happy with your results or did you expect better ?? Thanks...
vyper005

Re: Are you truly happy with your results ??

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:13 am

vyper005 wrote:...cells had migrated underneath the flap...

This is called epithelial ingrowth

vyper005 wrote:...hopefully I can get to 20/20 or 20/15.Do you guys think its possible ??

It seems a reasonable expectation at this relatively early point in your healing.

vyper005 wrote:I guess if someone were to ask me if I was fully satisified right now I would have to say no...

Since you have had flap lift to remove epithelial cells, your eye will likely be a bit inflammed. This can cause or contribute to poor vision quality. It really is too early to come to any conclusion about your final outcome.

vyper005 wrote:Like most people say,"I'd rather have perfect vision with glasses then mediocre vision without"

Perhaps you can have both, but much thinner glasses and with much less frequent need.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby griffin » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:39 am

Ive had those same feelings vyper. I havent had the problems you have, but i've had some of my own. I kind of equate it to buyers remorse, except on a more personal level. Maybe once i can start playing racquetball again and being fully active will i notice the difference. Also, for me its only been since Feb 27 since i had the surgery, so the vision i have right now may get better. The hardest thing at this point is to not live minute to minute, analyzing every aspect of what im seeing. Looking at something with and without my new glasses on to see what the difference is or trying to see if the ghosted image in my right eye has gotten any better. I do notice day to day that its a little crisper, and i have to remind myself that its a long process for some, especially those of us with astigmatisms (or so ive been told). I hope that helps, i need to be reminded everyday by the wife to feel better.

Peace
griffin

Postby 6502programmer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:41 pm

I'll bite. I am 6.5 weeks post op PRK, wavefront both eyes. I was 20/25 with contacts, -6.75 and -7.00 with serious astigmatism and moderate HOAs.

I am THRILLED with my results. The edema has subsided, the scratchiness is largely gone (a recent sinus infection and round of medication exacerbated it). My vision is 20/20 in both eyes, and feels like it's improving every day. I knew, going in, that while 20/20 was the goal, a reduced dependency on glasses was the reasonable outcome.

Yes, it has been something of a difficult journey. While the first provider I saw was gung-ho for LASIK, I wasn't so sure, and went to a second. There, I was told that I was not such an ideal candidate for LASIK, given my correction and corneal thickness. I was then told about PRK, and left to do some research. After some further research, I found that I would have done PRK in a heartbeat anyway. Fewer complications, potential for more stable correction, traded off for a week of not feeling so hot. For me, a computer consultant who depends upon his vision, it made perfect sense.

After the surgery, I spent four days not being able to focus on anything, the rest of that week with my computer in 800x600 mode (and still blurry), and using eye drops every twenty minutes. Two weeks later, I felt an intense pain, and knew something was wrong. The day after that, I went back to the doctor for an epithelial tear. It wasn't in the visual field, so acuity wasn't impacted, but it hurt A LOT. I had another one a week later in the other eye, treated by myself with a bandage contact. After a round with Muro 128, the epithelium seems to be holding nicely.

At this point, I think what I feel now is what people who were lucky enough to have been born with "normal" eyes get. When it's windy, the eyes dry out. Smoke bothers my eyes now, where before, they used to be sealed up behind contacts. When I wake up, my eyes need a minute or two until it's comfortable to keep them open for more than a few seconds at a time.

Summing up, yes, I'm quite happy with my outcome. I'm 20/20, have no residual issues, have outstanding acuity and overall vision, and even have good nighttime vision. The only thing that hasn't cleared up, that I had *hoped* might, is the floaters. I had hoped that with the corneal changes, that the focus might shift enough so that floaters would become less noticeable. As it turns out, it's done nothing for them.
6502programmer

Postby BahamaPapa » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:53 am

i am truly happy
surgery was january 10th, 2008, so i am pretty much 6, 7 weeks post op
i do notice that my right eye is much crisper and sharper than my left eye at long distances. at certain distances there's no noticeable difference, and within 15 feet or so my left is better than the right. i often wonder if this was the way my doc planned for it to be. i'll find out when i do my 3 month followup. i dont know my 20/? either eye, but i know for certain, my vision is a lot better than it was pre-op. i have NO challenges seeing anything. I AM HAPPY.
BahamaPapa

Re: Are you truly happy with your results ??

Postby bstoner » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:30 pm

vyper005 wrote:I had my op on Feb 1st,2008...Intralase w/Wavefront...My total vision before the operation was 20/400 w/astigmatism in both eyes corrected to 20/20 with glasses.Right now my total vision is 20/30...not bad but not as crisp as before with glasses(very frustrating).My left has healed very well but I have had my right eye scraped & rinsed twice(with tools that looked like dental picks) because some cells had migrated underneath the flap(very rare condition) causing the slightly blurry vision.Has anyone else had this procedure done ?? Other then that I have had no problem with dry eye etc...

I go back in a month for a follow up (Hopefully no more cell growth).The doc said it takes 3-6 months for your eyes to fully stabilize so now its just a waiting game...hopefully I can get to 20/20 or 20/15.Do you guys think its possible ?? I guess if someone were to ask me if I was fully satisified right now I would have to say no...Like most people say,"I'd rather have perfect vision with glasses then mediocre vision without" Anyway...Are you guys truly happy with your results or did you expect better ?? Thanks...

Sounds like you had the same thing I had, DLK, Sands of Sahara. It sucks I know. I am approaching 3 weeks post surgery and I still cant see very well out of my right eye. The sugeon says he sees noticable improvement but I cant see it yet.

I had to have my flap lifted and the epithelials rinsed away, I feel for you having to have that done twice. I only had it once and then drove myself home 25miles, I wont do that again, lol.

Good luck to you and I hope we both heal up well.

Here is my thread on my experience with DLK Click Me
bstoner

Postby vyper005 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:20 pm

bstoner,
Good luck to you as well,I really hope things clear up for you...Lets keep our fingers crossed.Right now my right eye still lags behind my right for total vision...not hazy or cloudy but just not crisp or super clear...Its still way early in our recovery though...Time is on our side :)
vyper005

Happy with results after 4th day

Postby BabsCline » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:09 pm

I had Lasik on March 27th and I'm pleased with the results. I had monovision treatment so at my 1-day post op visit, I wasn't seeing 20/20, but my Dr. Expects that I will be 20/20 by my 1-week post op visit. I believe that my Dr. said that I was seeing 20/30. He said that I was legal to drive.

Everyday I see an improvement. I am very excited and wish that I had the means to do it when I was younger (I'm over 50).

Reading and computer work are great and driving seems okay. I do have driving glasses which provide a boost for my non-dominant eye (I needed these when I had monovision contacts for night driving). I used the glasses over the weekend, but today I really see fine without them. I haven't tried driving at night so I'm not sure how that will go.

I had very dry eyes prior to the surgery which were treated with Restasis and lots of lubricating drops. I have been using the lubricating drops very frequently since the surgery and resumed the Restasis yesterday.
BabsCline

Postby vyper005 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:54 am

***Update***
My last visit was in May & was about the same as the last visit...my eye sight kinda fluctuates from day to day with my total vision still at 20/30 (Dont know my prescription #'s).Still not as crisp as before the operation...still a chore to read a magazine in low light or to see a small splinter in my finger...Just very frustrating.
My next scheduled visit is in August and will mark my 6 months since the operation.At that time I can discuss an enhancement with the surgeon.I'll let you guys know what I decide...
vyper005

Return to Just Had It