Epithelial Ingrowth

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Epithelial Ingrowth

Postby sim5064 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:14 am

Glenn,

I had Customvue Lasik on May 12, 2006. On July 21, 2006, I had to get my left eye scrapped due to epithelial ingrowth. One week later, I went to the optometrist and he noticed a small patch of ingrowth again, but was near the edge and was less than 1mm under the flap.

I have been to the two optometrists, one which has actually taken photo documentation, and both stated that the cells are still there, but have not moved. I looked at the photos myself and can see that the ingrowth is small and looks like it is actually looking more faded. Of course I am not a doctor, but the optometrist that took the photo's said that the cells are dead. My original co-managed optometrist said the cells are still there, but haven't moved (He has documented the ingrowth, but doesn't have photos).

I have also been to the surgeon who did the surgery every three weeks since the scrapping and he has also stated that the ingrowth is there, but is not progressing. He actually said that the cells look cloudy, not opaque. He says that he is 95% sure that he will not have to get the cells out and that they will disappear over time. He also measured it and said that the ingrowth is still less than 1mm.

As you can see I have been looked after pretty well since the ingrowth was diagnosed. It has been two months and the ingrowth has not progressed. In your opinion having been around this business for a while, what is the probability of the ingrowth progressing after being stable for a couple months?

FYI, The optometrist sees me again in a month and the surgeon sees me again in two months. All the folks that have seen me feel confident that this will all be fine, but, hey, I'm paranoid, what can I say.

Thanks
sim5064

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:53 am

Being a little paranoid often means you are better informed.

With appropriate response, epithelial ingrowth is a relatively benign complication of Lasik or IntraLasik. If the cells do not interfere with vision and are not multiplying, they may resolve without the need for intervention. It is not likely that vision will be affected if they stay at the edge of the Lasik flap.

If the cells begin to interfere with vision or threaten damage to the cornea, lifting the edge of the flap and removing the cells will probably be recommended. The flap lift can introduce new cells under the flap and start the process again, so this procedure is best avoided if the cells are not interfering with vision or corneal health.

It sounds like your doctors are responding reasonably and responsibly by monitoring the cells every month or so. Measurement and comparison with the photograph can determine with certainty if they are growing. If the doctors recommend a flap lift and cell removal, do as they recommend. If the epithelial cells aggressively multiply and are not removed, permanent damage can occur. This is not a sudden process, so you should have plenty of time to respond.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby sim5064 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:34 pm

Glenn,

Thank you for your response!

When/If they resolve on their own, how long does it take for the cells to completely disappear, generally? I guess I'm asking to find out if I need to be worried about these until they are all completely gone or stop worrying when it is established that they are not progressing, but still there. Any thoughts?

Since they're not growing, I feel that I should stop worrying about it, but knowing that they're still there, of course is a bother. My surgeon has said that he has seen plenty of this situation (nonprogressive less than 1mm from edge, thus far) and states that they usually come out fine without going in and rescrapping again. Especially, since he also says that they have looked like they're fading a bit over the last couple of months.

Thanks Again.
sim5064

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:57 pm

Epithelial ingrowth can be determined as nonproblematic long before the cells are actually gone. If over the period of several months there is no increase in size of the ingrowth and the cells appear to be disappating, then the need to worry is not great.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby sim5064 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:32 pm

Thank you again. Appreciate your time.
sim5064

Return to Had It A While Ago