-1.25 and -1.5 vision, is PRK worth it?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

-1.25 and -1.5 vision, is PRK worth it?

Postby msg73 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:08 am

Hello, my vision is not that bad at -1.25 (left) and -1.5 (right) with some astigmatism. I went for a consult and the doctor suggested that I do PRK He also does a lot of LASIK procedures. With such little correction, I really expect 20/20 or better. I know there's no guarantees, but are my expectations realistic? Or are my chances of 20/20 vision no better than someone with much worse vision than me?

I work in front of a computer all day and have read about the additional pain and recovery time of PRK. Would it be safe to assume that the pain and recovery time would be less for someone like me verus someone with worse vision?
msg73

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:38 pm

If you are near, at, or past age 40, then the best would probably be none. After age 40 the ability to see objects near becomes limited and being nearsighted the amount you are nearsighted would mean not needing reading glasses as early or as often. You should read about Lasik and reading glasses.

If you are younger, then this small amount of refractive error should be reasonably straightforward to correct, however you should never expect vision after laser vision correction surgery to be better than your vision before surgery with glasses. See Lasik results for current information that includes all laser vision correction techniques including Lasik, All-Laser Lasik, PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby msg73 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:27 pm

I'm 35 and I went ahead and did PRK (before I read your post). The pain wasn't bad at all...some light sensitivity and an annoying 'dry contact' feeling in my eyes for a couple of days.

I was around 20/25 right before the doc took out my contact bandage. This made me reasonably happy and I thought it would only be better after the contact bandages are out. After he took them out, my vision got worse (it's only been 2 days)...comparable/little worse than before the surgery. Not too much haze, but I'm taking 1000mg of vitamin C just in case, along with FML drops 4x/day.

I know this is different for everyone, but when would the average PRK patient start seeing improved vision? The doc said to give it another 10 days...
msg73

Postby stockyg » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:54 pm

I was the same way when I got the contact bandage removed. My vision was fine for a day or 2 then it got noticeably worse. I got ghosting and my vision decreased for a couple of weeks. About 4 -7 weeks out my vision got better. I had some bad light sensitivity but when I finished the Lotemax steroid drops, the light sensitvity went away. It just takes time. I was kind of worrried when I had my bandage removed and my vision decreased, but now I am fine. I had -1.5 in both eyes and my left with an astimagtism. I can now see 20/25 but from what I understand it takes 6 months to heal and should only get better from here on out. Good luck
stockyg

Postby Pappy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:49 pm

msg73 wrote:I know this is different for everyone, but when would the average PRK patient start seeing improved vision? The doc said to give it another 10 days...

This is going to be different for every one. I think it took about 8 weeks before my vision became anything usuable (driving, using the puter).

It will depend on how fast your epithelium smooths and regenerates (it should be back at about 5 days or so) but the smoothing and thickening can take up to 6 months to a year and for nerve regeneration it can take up to 2 years.

Most people hit the "good" vision mark after 3 months.

Best of luck with your healing.
Pappy

Postby mat » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:36 pm

I have much the same issue - a diopter of -1.25 in each eye and age 38. Is it worth going for corrective surgery?
mat

Postby mat » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:04 am

As an addendum to the above post, I went to see my optician who after a battery of tests suggested that because of the low degree of myopia he would recommend a surface ablasion using custom LASIK. My cornea is apparently 560 microns thick and he would need to take off 15 micros to correct for -1.25. The plus side is that this is a lower risk procedure than cutting a flap but the downside is that it takes longer to heal - including 5 days with a soft contact.

My concerns are: would it be better to get one eye done and then the other given that I will be essentially blind for 5 days?
and: in reality how long can I expect of post operative issues (eye dryness, fogginess etc) before functional eyesight is in place? Obviously if I have one procedure after another it will be twice as long and the ski season is approaching.....

I appreciate your thoughts but suspect I'll try long term contacts for this season and re-consider surgery in the spring
mat

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:26 pm

One eye at a time would undoubtedly be best.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Summit » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:41 am

Based on my research, I think at those low prescriptions, you are a candidate for Intacs.
Summit

Return to Thinking About It