Help with my astigmatism

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Help with my astigmatism

Postby stevoski » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:07 pm

hello,

my prescription is: R sph - 0.75, cyl - 3.00
L sph - 1.00, cyl - 2.25
i have just come back from a consultation and the surgeon said i have serious astigmatism thus it is unlikely that i will have perfect vision with the likelyhood of +/- 0.5 dioptres in both eyes with the possibility of having to do a second surgery if not all the astigmatism has been removed. my question is whether it is worthwhile to do, is my astigmatism too serious?, are there people who have had the surgery who have similar or worse astigmatism and if so let me know whether you are satisfied with the results, please let me know as i am unsure + lost, thanks
stephan
stevoski

Postby excimer_guy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:29 am

Your astigmatism is still well within limits treatable by LASIK. However, you must take into account that for higher corrections -especially for higher degrees of astigmatism- a retreatment becomes more probable. This would be a bit easier for you than the first LASIK since the surgeon would simply lift the flap and use the excimer laser to correct your residual refractive error.
excimer_guy

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:30 pm

A concern with your high astigmatism is that you also have low myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision. This is a concern because of a Lasik astigmatism coupling effect of the excimer laser used for Lasik. For every 1.00 diopter of astigmatism correction there is an automatic correction for myopia of 0.25 to 0.33 diopters. This means that to fully correct your astigmatism you may be overcorrected from myopia to hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision in your right eye.

It is possible to attempt to counter the coupling effect by tweaking the treatment plan and additional surgeries, but high astigmatism is much more challenging to correct and this may be a lot of surgical manipulation of the cornea's refractive error and may (emphasis on "may") lead to poor vision quality, especially in low light environments.

You are within the treatable range, but you are not an ideal candidate. If you are highly motivated and willing to accept less than perfection for the convenience of a reduced need for corrective lenses, then Lasik may be appropriate for you.

Additionally, you may want to consider a surface ablation technique like PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik instead of Lasik since it seems likely that you would need multiple surgeries. Although the visual recovery is longer and there is more discomfort, you would have the advantage of no Lasik flap.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It