Custom All Laser Lasik

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Custom All Laser Lasik

Postby Tempted » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:28 am

I had all laser lasik on May 14th

Day 1 - Wednesday/Day of surgery:
After the surgery things still looked blurry. Ten minutes after I came out of surgery, my eyes started burning (which is normal). When I got home, I took the sleeping pills they gave me and slept for 5 hours (did not feel any pain at all). When I woke up, I felt good - no pain or discomfort. My vision was very hazy for the next couple of days.

Day 2- Thursday:
I went for my checkup and I could see fairly well for having Lasik the previous day, although things still looked blurry overall. This was really new to me, being able to see like that with my eyes only. It was pretty strange and amazing at the same time. Things looked very hazy when I was in my room (which I tried to keep dark because I heard some people get sensitive to light) but very clear where it is bright.

Day 2 & 3- Thurs/Friday:
My vision is about the same.

Day 4 - Sat:
My eyes felt more like my eyes again: I did not feel as much pressure.

Day 6 - Mon:
I went back to work. The haze was still there. It was a little distracting and things looked a little blurry on my computer, so I adjusted the brightness of the screen and that helped make my eyes more comfortable when looking at the screen. Mon & Tues were tough for my eyes when I was at work.

My eyes felt dry in the morning when I wake up, which affected my vision - very blurry even up close (so blurry that I couldn't read the digital clock on my cell phone!) Only later did I find out it was due to dryness.

Day 8 - Wed:
I had my 1-week visit. And to my surprise, I could read the 20/20 line even though it looked blurry.

Day 8 or 9, the haze is completely gone.

Day 9 & 10:
Working on a computer a full day has pushed my dry eyes to another level. My eyes would sting towards the end of the day. That was pretty bad: I had to close my eyes to relieve the pain. I have learned to keep some artificial tears in my purse.

Week 2:
My eyes are doing pretty well as far as the dryness - I use artif tears when I wake up every morning but no need for artif tears during the day. I only feel some discomfort towards the end of the day, and that's when I use the artif tears.

As a summary, overall I would say I was pleasantly surprised with my Lasik experience. No pain during or after the procedure.

Wed 6/4 will mark my 3 weeks. I am satisfied with my vision, but I can't say that things look crisp. I have not noticed any change in either a positive or negative way since my 1 week visit. Do you think my vision can/will still improve at this stage?
My prescription before Lasik: about -8.00 both eyes.

Any comments from readings or personal experience is appreciated!
Also, I don't think I experienced any starbursts, halos, sensitivity to light or any other problems. How do you describe starbursts and halos?[/b]

6/5: I want to specify that my near vision is good. What I'm a little worried about is distance. I printed out an eye chart as advised by 3lix0r. And as of yesterday, I could read the line above the 20/20 line so it looks like my vision is not as good as 2 weeks ago when I had my 1-week visit. I'll wait and see how it turns out.
Last edited by Tempted on Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tempted

Re: My Lasik Experience

Postby 3lix0r » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:09 pm

Tempted wrote:Wed 6/4 will mark my 3 weeks. I am satisfied with my vision, but I can't say that things look crisp. I have not noticed any change in either a positive or negative way since my 1 week visit. Do you think my vision can/will still improve at this stage?
My prescription before Lasik: about -8.00 both eyes.

Any comments from readings or personal experience is appreciated!
Also, I don't think I experienced any starbursts, halos, sensitivity to light or any other problems. How do you describe starbursts and halos?[/b]

Hi Tempted,
A couple things...
Even though you don't feel the dryness until the end of the day, keep using your drops, you just had surgery so all those nerves that told you your eyes are dry can't really tell you that anymore. Even just a couple times a day will help the healing more, but you should talk to your doctor about this on Wednesday if you have a checkup.

Speaking with my doctor custom takes more time to heal.

Halos can best be described as...
o = light bulb or normal street light
( ) = halo effect
so what you would see is: ( O ) and there would be light that proceeds out from the bulb like the parenthesis.
Start ursts make lights have bright spots shoot out.
When you see a crude drawing of something shinny they point out the fact that it's shinny, like a diamond, by putting straight lines around the circumference of the diamond.

That's the best I can do :)

If you'd like more information, you may find my thread helpful as I seem to have some of the same experiences.
http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert ... php?t=1776

Cheers
3lix0r

Postby Tempted » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:59 am

Hi 3lix0r,

I did read your thread a couple days after I had my surgery, and I actually copied your format - if you hadn't noticed :) . We had the same procedure, so it was nice to compare my recovery with yours.
Now that I know what the halo effect is like, I actually do have it but it's not a big issue. I hope it will go away at some point though. I'm still not sure what a starburst looks like, but that's ok. Anyways, I'm trying to use the drops more often in a preventive way: a little in the morning, a few times during the day, and a thick one for bedtime (Systane - it lasts longer). Thanks for your advice. That was very helpful.

I'm still concerned that my vision won't get any better since I haven't seen any change. It might still be early to make any conclusions, but it seems like this is where I will be. I'm hoping the drops will help. I will keep you posted.
Tempted

Postby mh » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:36 am

I had custom lasik monovision on the afternoon of 15 May 2008.

As at today, my vision is good especially in bright conditions (but I have to wear dark glasses). I am still adjusting to the monovision effect but it does not feel as weird as initially now. I still do not feel comfortable in bright lights/sun and must have my dark glasses.

There is still some soreness sometimes. Maybe my eyes are tired. Feeling of wearing dirty contacts still there, sometimes it does feel irritating and I wish I can remove the contacts but there aren't any to remove. So I use the lubricant eye drops instead.

Initially not able to focus on long distance letters/numbers but now much, much better. Able to read boards and car numbers. However, still not crisp and sharp, some blurriness.

My wish? I can bear with the slow progress in vision improvement but I would really like to have that tired, dirty contacts in eyes feeling to go away ASAP. :)
mh

Postby 3lix0r » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:06 pm

I thought that looked familiar ;)

Ok so I did a quick google search and this is a good picture of a starburst and halos here:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... image&cd=2
It reminds me of driving home in my contacts at 3am when they have been in for 18 hours already :)

I have noticed it is getting better it is just taking time. I'll be 4 weeks come Friday and I still have halos and my left eye is a little blurry still but I think it's really just a matter of time. The way I think of it is, it was surgery on my eyes and no one is good after 3 or 4 weeks with surgery, I'm going to give it the next month and see how it turns out.

Another thing you may want to try is printing out a chart with letters and putting it on a wall and test it every day or few days to see if there was any improvement. I do notice a little each day, it seems like the blurriness is slowly going away on my left eye.

Hang in there.

Tempted wrote:Hi 3lix0r,

I did read your thread a couple days after I had my surgery, and I actually copied your format - if you hadn't noticed :) . We had the same procedure, so it was nice to compare my recovery with yours.
Now that I know what the halo effect is like, I actually do have it but it's not a big issue. I hope it will go away at some point though. I'm still not sure what a starburst looks like, but that's ok. Anyways, I'm trying to use the drops more often in a preventive way: a little in the morning, a few times during the day, and a thick one for bedtime (Systane - it lasts longer). Thanks for your advice. That was very helpful.

I'm still concerned that my vision won't get any better since I haven't seen any change. It might still be early to make any conclusions, but it seems like this is where I will be. I'm hoping the drops will help. I will keep you posted.
3lix0r

Postby 3lix0r » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:08 pm

Hi mh,

I think this is because of the dryness.
This should go away after a little bit. If it helps I also have this and once I use my drops it's almost pain free. I have also noticed that my eyelashes can bother my eyes or fall in causing the dirty contacts feeling. So I usually just pull on them in the morning and get any stragglers.

Cheers

mh wrote:
My wish? I can bear with the slow progress in vision improvement but I would really like to have that tired, dirty contacts in eyes feeling to go away ASAP. :)
3lix0r

Postby Tempted » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:23 am

[quote="3lix0r"]I thought that looked familiar ;)

Ok so I did a quick google search and this is a good picture of a starburst and halos here:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... image&cd=2
It reminds me of driving home in my contacts at 3am when they have been in for 18 hours already :)

I have noticed it is getting better it is just taking time. I'll be 4 weeks come Friday and I still have halos and my left eye is a little blurry still but I think it's really just a matter of time. The way I think of it is, it was surgery on my eyes and no one is good after 3 or 4 weeks with surgery, I'm going to give it the next month and see how it turns out.

Another thing you may want to try is printing out a chart with letters and putting it on a wall and test it every day or few days to see if there was any improvement. I do notice a little each day, it seems like the blurriness is slowly going away on my left eye.

Hang in there.

[quote="Tempted"]Hi 3lix0r,

I'm still concerned that my vision won't get any better since I haven't seen any change. It might still be early to make any conclusions, but it seems like this is where I will be. I'm hoping the drops will help. I will keep you posted.[/quote][/quote]

Oh, ok. Like people say, a picture speaks a 1000 words. So, the starburst is just like the halo with the lines shooting out. It's not how I pictured it. I don't think I have experienced any starbursts then. I have been using a few things to somewhat measure my vision and check the progress I'm making. So far, no change that I could notice. Thanks so doing all the work for me ! (the pictures). I hadn't thought about it.

Anyways, Good Luck to you.
Tempted

Postby Tempted » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:29 am

[quote="mh"]I had custom lasik monovision on the afternoon of 15 May 2008.

As at today, my vision is good especially in bright conditions (but I have to wear dark glasses). I am still adjusting to the monovision effect but it does not feel as weird as initially now. I still do not feel comfortable in bright lights/sun and must have my dark glasses.

There is still some soreness sometimes. Maybe my eyes are tired. Feeling of wearing dirty contacts still there, sometimes it does feel irritating and I wish I can remove the contacts but there aren't any to remove. So I use the lubricant eye drops instead.

Initially not able to focus on long distance letters/numbers but now much, much better. Able to read boards and car numbers. However, still not crisp and sharp, some blurriness.

My wish? I can bear with the slow progress in vision improvement but I would really like to have that tired, dirty contacts in eyes feeling to go away ASAP. :)[/quote]

Hi mh,

I can relate to your dirty contacts feeling. That's how my eyes feel right now even though I have been using eye drops regularly. Do you work on a computer a lot? I spend the whole day on a computer, and I think that's what makes my eyes tired. On the weekend, I'm fine - no problem, just a little bit of dryness. I think I need to go on vacation :)
Tempted

Postby mh » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:07 am

Hi Tempted! Yes, I work all day looking at a computer. When I go home, I use a computer too for reading news online, etc. I like reading and keeping in touch with my friends, I cannot help it but spend most of my time glued to the computer screen.

My eyes feel more comfortable today. I know I am supposed to keep my eyes moist and use the drops but my surgeon advised that I can stop the drops entirely if I feel okay after I have finished the supply he gave me. I have finished that supply but I have another box which I bought as spare on the op day. I am now using that spare box, I think the vials left will last another 1.5 weeks at most.

Assuming my eyes feel comfortable, is it alright if I stopped using the drops after that? Anyone can advise me please?

My long distance vision has really improved. But I think I am losing on my reading vision, it was okay last week but today I feel harder to focus on short distance vision. Last week I had problems with long distance vision, now it's the other way round. A little worried here, I don't want to use reading glasses ... that is why I had monovision in the first place. I hope things will get better next week with the short distance vision.

Well, that is my situation today, 20 days after Lasik.
mh

Postby Tempted » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:49 am

Just a little update

At my 1-month checkup, I had regressed a little bit compared to 1-week post-op but not enough to need an enhancement. And since week 6, the dryness is not as bad as it was. I am now using eye drops about 1x every hour (more in a preventive way). I don't need it really bad within an hour, but I'd rather do it before I feel any dryness. I used to put eye drops every 20min/30min around week 4 and I really needed it at that time.
The halos are still present, but I don't expect it to disappear that soon.
Tempted

Postby mh » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:53 am

I am now about 6 weeks post-op. My vision is good but still fluctuating. I continued using lubricating drops to this day (bought more boxes recently).

Nowadays, after I put in the lubricating drops, my eyes cleared for awhile but after that it becomes blurry for about 20 minutes. Then everything clears again.

Although I mentioned in my earlier posting here that I would not like to use reading glasses, I bought a cheap pair recently. I removed the piece which is for my monovision eye. It sure magnifies the words and letters but I realised I can survive without it for normal reading. I take it out only when I need to look at tiny prints.

My eyes are not that dry and nowadays are more comfortable and feels `normal'. I think I'll stick to the lubricating drops until I meet up with my surgeon next month for the 3-month check-up.

Halos and starbursts at night still there. I too do not expect this to resolve so soon. I seldom drive at night anyway.
mh

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:45 pm

The halos and starbursts are very likely caused or exacerbated by the monovision. When next you experience this nigh vision problem, cover your undercorrected (near vision) eye and see if the halos improve. It may be that you need full distance correction glasses for driving at night.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It