Enhancement??

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Enhancement??

Postby travellingred » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:44 am

Hi everone I posted before but not sure if people thought I was joking about? I most certainly am not!

I had LASIK almost 6 months ago in Japan and vision wise I am very happy. However, I am very unhappy with the appearance of my eyes, which has changed since the operation(although everything I read said this is not possible!). I was short sighted before, -1.75 in each eye with 0.50 astigmatism. The laser has flattened both of my corneas, but the right much more so than the left (it looks flat, whereas the left is still quite oval). I have slightly better vision in the left eye, but because of this difference my eyes appear wonky. The left eye appears to turn outwards and the right loks like it has drifted to the right!!

Before lasik my eyes were very oval and looked normal together, but now one is oval and the other is flat. So my question is..........Has anyone ever heard of this? and also, do yout think a retreatment of the left eye to flaten it would be beneficialin correcting this?

I really would love ay feedback as reallt has knocked my confidence and I feel very depressed about it, not being able to look people in the eye etc.

Thanks in anticipation :(
travellingred

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:29 pm

The surgery would remove about 18 microns of corneal tissue to resolve 1.50 diopters of myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision. A human hair is about 60 microns thick. It is impossible for you to see the results of the surgery on your corneas.

If your eyes are pointing different directions, that is an entirely different issue. It may be possible that you are having convergence problems. When you focus on an object near to you your eyes will become slightly crossed because they are both looking at an object that is near. This may be what you and your friends are noticing. When looking at your eyes in a mirror, you are close enough that there will be some convergence. Looking at a friend who is within 20 feet (6 meters) or less can also cause convergence. This is a normal response to see objects near.

You can discuss your problems with your doctor and ask for accommodation/convergence testing.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago