Severe double vision after water in eye 4 days post epilasik

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Severe double vision after water in eye 4 days post epilasik

Postby kass » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:41 am

Hi - I am 16 days post epilasik. My left eye was -2.00DS, and my right eye was -3.75 DS. The surgery went well. On day four, water splashed into my left eye. Prior to this, vision in the left eye was better than vision in right. Since then, vision in the left eye is warped and severely double, worsening as the day goes on. Vision in the right eye is fairly clear(very slightly blurry/ghosting). Can you tell me what the water did to my left eye, and if there is hope of recovering from this? Thanks so much. I'm terrified.
kass

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:04 am

It seems most likely that unless the water was from a contaminated well or run-off from an industrial plant, the presentation of ghosting you are experiencing is a part of the normal Epi-Lasik healing. It does not likely have anything to do with the water.

In Epi-Lasik the outermost layer of pliable cells on the cornea is lifted with a mechanical device that slides across the numbed cornea. After the laser treatment, this layer of cells is repositioned over the area to act like a bandage.

The process of Epi-Lasik mortally wounds all of those cells, so they need to die off, slough off, and be replaced by new epithelial cells. Although corneal epithelial cells are the fastest reproducing cells in the human body, it does take some time for this process to complete.

As new cells move in and old cells move out, the epithelium can become irregular. This can present as multiple images, ghosts, halos around light sources at night, and a host of vision problems. Once the epithelium is replaced with new cells it will smooth and vision becomes again regular.

Expect this kind of vision problem to continue for a week or two more (even up to a couple of months from surgery) and expect the same in the other eye, but be certain that you notify your doctor of your difficulties.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Thanks much

Postby kass » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:03 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply and reassurance.
kass

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:04 pm

Glad to be of assistance. Please be sure to post your progress here so others in a similar situation will know what can be expected.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Heyvoon24 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi - new user here. I didnt want to start a new thread so I will just post my question here. I got Lasik eye surgery (with the custom wavefront) last tuesday. I was always cautious about not getting anything in my eye (maybe too catious). Last night I took a shower with the mask I was given and used shampoo. But some water (with some diluted shampoo) trickled down under the mask and went by my eyes. My eyes were closed the entire time but it stung. As my eyes were closed I somehow found some teardrops and poured some to wash off my eyelashes, But they still stung for a few minutes afterwards. I know I shouldn't worry but I just want to know if this would hinder the healing process and/or cause loss in vision acuity.
Heyvoon24

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:14 pm

The stinging us undoubtedly due to soap content reaching your eyes. Since the amount was apparently small, you flushed your eyes soon after the event, and you do not report any adverse vision problems, it does not seem likely that this will cause a problem.

To attain even distribution of the medicine, the dry eye medicine Restasis actually puts a small amount of soap equivalent into the formula. This is what causes the stinging sensation immediately after application. So you see that a small amount of soap has little negative effect on the eyes.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Heyvoon24 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:31 pm

thanks.
Heyvoon24

Induction of 2 diopters of astigmatism after epilasik

Postby kass » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:26 am

My prescription has gone from OD -3.75 DS, OS -2.50 pre-operatively to OD +1DS,-2DC and OS +1DS,-2DC. I have severe vertical monocular diplopia OS since the water splash. I also have some monocular diplopia in the right eye, although not nearly as significant. Is development of 2 diopters of astigmatism OU and severe diplopia OS normal recovery at four and a half weeks or is it a warning sign of some flap related complication like striate keratopathy, diffuse lamellar keratopathy or epithelial regrowth? My surgeon has not directly commented on this, although I have asked him several times.
kass

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:05 pm

You have been reading too many websites! 8^)

The development of significant astigmatism postoperatively can be caused by many, many things including the possibilities you cited. If you had DLK, Epi-Ingrowth, or macro-striae that was causing 2.00 diopters of astigmatism, it would be clearly noticable to your doctor upon examination.

Since your doctor has not related to you these possible causes, it seems reasonable that they are not involved. Also, if you had DLK you would have symptoms other than astigmatism, Epi-ingrowth is not likely to cause that much astigmatism in this relatively short time, and striae is normally easily seen by the doctor.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It