What can I expect from Lasik ?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

What can I expect from Lasik ?

Postby kurama02 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi all,
First, I want to thank all of you for creating such a helpful forum. Here I can find many useful informations by browsing through it.
Second, about my problem, my situation is as follows:
I am 24. I had a -8(left)/-7.25(right) prescription (rather high myopia, and with minor astigmatism), and it's been stable for about 2-3 years now .
A friend of mine told me to have a Lasik surgery now. Because if I don't have one now, my myopic will keep progressing in the future and some complications will happen to my eyes because of high myopia when I get older. And when this terrible thing happen, it will be harder for me to have a Lasik surgery.
I know that what most I can expect from Lasik is the convenience of a reduced need for corrective lenses.But besides this, what can I expect more? Is having a Lasik surgery will help my myopic progressing becomes slower? Or having a Lasik surgery will help me to avoideyes complications due to high myopia?
I've been wearing glasses since I was 12. And now I am familiar with glasses. Getting rid of them is a wonderful idea, but now I am not really need it. But if having a Lasik surgery will help me to slow down myopic progressing and avoid complications due to high myopia when I get older, I will definitely have it. So should I have a surgery or not?

Thanks
kurama02

Postby kurama02 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:07 am

Decided to take a check-up yesterday,
My results : Left : - 7.75 ( with 0.50 Cylinder)/ Right : -7.25
Corneal curvature around 43-44, corneal thickness was 543 and 540 microns, pupil size 4.3mm and 4.1mm in low light enviroment.
After that they said that i am a good candidates for Q-Lasik (i can't find much information about it here). But when i aked them how many corneal thickness remain post-op, they said that only the laserwill know exactly. Besides, i notice that my pupil size is rather small compare to others people in this forum.
Is every things seem ok? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.
kurama02

Re: What can I expect from Lasik ?

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:14 pm

kurama02 wrote:A friend of mine told me to have a Lasik surgery now. Because if I don't have one now, my myopic will keep progressing in the future and some complications will happen to my eyes because of high myopia when I get older. And when this terrible thing happen, it will be harder for me to have a Lasik surgery.

I'm not certain what "terrible thing" your friend is talking about, but your high myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision does present some challenges.

Myopia means that your eye is elongated. Unfortunately, the tissues inside the eye, including the retina, are not also larger to accommodate this increased size. This puts a lot of pressure on the retina to pull away from the back of the eye. A retinal detachment can be a major vision problem. It is very important to remember that even after fully successful Lasik your eye's length is not changed. You continue to have all the concerns of a high myope even if you are able to see without glasses.

Another concern is the flatness of the cornea. Lasik reduces myopia by reshaping the cornea - specifically by flattening the center. Each diopter of refractive change means one diopter of flattening. You have over 7.00 diopters of flattening. A too-flat cornea will not focus light well and can lead to blurred vision. You have a very distinct advantage that your pupils are very small, but you will want to discuss this concern with your surgeon before making a decision.

It is very likely that you will have regression of effect after Lasik and will need a second enhancement surgery. There are techniques to work around this like deliberate overcorrection, but they have their limitations too.

"Q-Lasik" is undoubtedly "Eye-Q Lasik" a brand name created by Allegretto to differentiate Lasik with one manufacturer's laser from another. Unless there is some significant difference in the treatment plan, Lasik is Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It