Thin flap complication issue

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Thin flap complication issue

Postby Lefteye » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:24 pm

Hello

I just had a Wavefront Lasik surgery last month on one eye, but due to a thin flap complication in my left eye. the surgery was aborted.

First the surgeon preformed lasik on my right eye - which went all great and no side effects what so ever and with perfect vision (with around to 90 micron flap). Healing was less then 3 days! (I am 24 years old, with 2.75/3 on each eye.)

However, when he started in my left eye, the cut was to thin to preform lasik (around 40/50 micron, as my thikness is around 500-510) so the surgeon replaced the flap and aborted the operation.

After later test he said that we can repeat and finish process in about 3 months, by creating a larger and deeper flap (around 90-100 micron) that will include within him the thin flap that was created.

In the meantime I work with one contact lense.

for now I fell that my sight on my left eye is not as good as before, however the doctor said it is because I was used to see with both eyes, and according to his tests, there is no to little change in my left eye sight.

My question to you if there are any complications that can happen during the 2nd surgery, and what any complications can happen in the future with a 2nd flap (such as a greater risk to have flap dislocation and so on.) Also, is there a smeller chance for perfect vison result, as it was with my right eye because of this?

The doctor said it's not a serious issue, as this is rare, but not problematic complication, but since this is considered a rare issue, I was wondering if you know about those cases and have any more information about this.

Thank you very much!
Lefteye

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:49 am

Your doctor was correct to abort the flap creation when it became apparent that the flap was too thin. Normal response would be to lay the flap back down and waiting 3-6 months until the flap has healed then deciding if you want to proceed with surgery.

The risk of a follow-up surgery are the same as initial surgery, however you now need a thicker flap, thus your untouched cornea will be a bit thinner. Your doctor can advise if there may be additional risk.

It is possible for the partial flap to dislocate during surgery. It would likely be possible for it to be laid down just like the first time.

A concern will also be epithelial ingrowth. Read the linked article for details.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Lefteye » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:03 pm

Thanks for the answer!

I highly appreciate your reply!

I was wondering if with one eye that have 2nd flap, is there a bigger risk of flap dislocation in the future, rather then a normal 1 flap scenario?

-as I do used to play football and wrestling and encounter a lot of head bumps before the surgery, and I was wondering if it is safe, or that in this case to get back into action as before with a succesful second lasik surgery in that eye-
Lefteye

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:52 pm

It is my understanding that the risk of dislocation with a secondary flap is virtually the same as with a primary flap, however if dislocated the repositioning of one and a half flaps would be more challenging than one flap and would be more prone to epithelial ingrowth.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Lefteye » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:44 pm

An update on my situation:
Almost a year after the original surgery, no problems at all with the right eye, and left eye still sees the same as before the surgery (as only a thin flap was created and replaced, with no laser treatment).

I must say I am very happy with my right eye sight, and also the surgery 'scar' has almost disappeared.
NO SIDE EFFECTS WHAT-SO-EVER!

I have taken my time for the past year and decided to perform a new surgery on my left eye, with hopes that I will have great results like my right eye which underwent the entire treatment.

Sadly, the doctor that performed the surgery on me did not explained to me of risks in lasik flap dislocation. Since I am practicing full contact sports (professional wrestling) I have stopped any action in this sport altogether for the past year.

However, I do miss this activity and hope to return to the ring in the future.

Therefore I have made my mind and decided to perform PRK over the very thin flap that was created on my left eye (as only a very thin flap was created, and the surgery was aborted without laser).
By doing so, the original very thin flap will be almost completly 'burned' (about only 40-50 microns of flap that was created) and flap dislocation risk will be reduced to none.

Is it wise to perform a PRK over a think flap (as no laser treatment was done under the flap)?

Also, since it is really depressing that I can not return to professional wrestling since I fear of flap dislocation on my right eye. (which I'm very happy of the surgery results).
Is there a way to protect my eyes from flap dislocation by using 0 number contact lenses or therapeutic contact lenses (while during sports activity), so that I will be able to return to professional wrestling? Will the do contacts will do any use in this case?

Thank for your advise!
Lefteye

Return to Just Had It