After sleep, Eye condition gets worse? (5months post op)

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

After sleep, Eye condition gets worse? (5months post op)

Postby mgear356 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:14 am

My eye condition has been going up and down..

from 20 feb till like late june, my condition on my right eye has regressed till a stable 100-150 myopia.

Things started to get better @ early july when i felt its like 50-75 myopia on my right eye.

There are days during july that it would be even 0-25 myopia.

i thought it was more or less stable till today when i woke up, i felt that it has gone back to 150 myopia.

My question is that during sleeping, can dry eyes cause such affect/damage?

My condition after 5months is that my eyes still feel dry when i wake up although my dependency of eye drops is much more lesser..
mgear356

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:57 pm

Yes, your eyes can become dry or hydrated while sleeping. If you are actually more myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) in the morning it may be because the cornea is becoming more hydrated and swelling up with the additional fluids. As the day progresses and the hydration balances, the cornea loses some mass and brings vision back toward plano (no refractive error).

If the issue of morining vision is vision quality, not refractive error, this may relate to other concerns.

You need to discuss your difficulties with your doctor and it may be helpful to schedule to see him/her for the first exam of the day.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby mgear356 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:20 pm

ah glenn to the rescue!

the regression is staying till now, with eye drops there isnt any sign of improvement.

as in the first post, it has went back to the stage before july.
(20 feb till like late june)

so is there any damage while sleeping or is this still part of the "unstable" healing process?
mgear356

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:23 pm

Not likely damage while sleeping, just natural changes in a system that is still trying to figure out what it needs to do to stabilize.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby boston » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:43 am

mgear356,
I would suggest using GEL EVERY NIGHT. I have heard that the most important part of the healing process is when the eyes are well hydrated. If you are experiencing ANY dryness, then I would suggest using the gel, and or also wear a sleep mask, or moisture chamber, just so your eyes DON'T get dry.
I have read from certain posts that some doctors will say, keep moisture away, and at bay, so your eyes will heal much better during the crucial healing periods.
In other words, do all you can to keep them hydrated, and dont let them get dry. They will be better off.

Good luck.

ps. I wish I had been told this when a month after surgery I wasnt really using drops, and I went on the Appalachian Trail for 3 weeks out in the elements, never using anything much at all. Eyes were dry in mornings, but never paid much attention. Now still a little dry and sometimes somewhat bothersome a year later
boston

Postby mgear356 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:13 am

thanks for the advices..

i am now at my 5th day and my right eye is sharp again..

lke 25 myopia?

seriously this is weird.. and i am experiencing this type of bad to good, and one day when i wake up, bad.. cycle for the 3rd time?
mgear356

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:38 pm

Good days, bad days. Good hours, bad hours. This is very normal during the initial healing period as the tearing function stabilizes.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby mgear356 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:46 am

you are most helpful glenn,

one last question..
am i right to say that I should not go for enhancement yet?

if yes? How long should I wait if the "bad" days persist without any improvement before going?
mgear356

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:17 pm

The concern with enhancement during fluctuation is what the treatment plan should be. It is hard to hit a moving target and is usually best to wait until everything has stabilized, but your doctor can most correctly advise you.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby mgear356 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:35 am

weird..the cycle is back again..
woke up yesterday and right eye got back the blurness..
myopia around 150?

seriously doesnt make sense..
it's my 3rd cycle of good to bad, bad to good..

any ways that i can extend my good?
the night before it got worst, i already felt my right eye deteriorating before sleeping...
and i was right when i woke up, blurness again..

confused..
mgear356

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:35 am

This sounds like inflammation and/or dry eye. Be sure to read our article on dry eye treatment.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby mgear356 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:37 am

LasikExpert wrote:This sounds like inflammation and/or dry eye. Be sure to read our article on dry eye treatment.

thanks for the info..

however i do felt my dependency on eye drops dropping compared to few months ago..

and i do put alot of eye drops when my eyes get uncomfortable..

i wonder how long is this going to last as it stops me from going for an enhancement..
mgear356

Postby mgear356 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:42 pm

and if this persist, may i know what would be the best question to consult my eye doctor?

really need answers..
mgear356

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:07 pm

It is almost always best to tell your doctor your symptoms and request a full detailed explanation of the cause, treatment plan, and prognosis. This is usually better than asking specific questions up front that may or may not be germane. Most certainly, ask follow-up questions after the doctor explains the cause, treatment plan, and prognosis until you feel you have all the information you need.

At best, I can make an educated guess.

It is also wise to contact staff before your appointment and explain that you are having difficulties and you will want enough time with the doctor that your concerns can be explained fully. Otherwise, they may schedule you for a routine postop visit and expect less than two minutes, when you need much more. If they know in advance, you give them the opportunity to schedule the extra time.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago