Information to keep for future reference

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Information to keep for future reference

Postby mh » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:48 am

Hi Glen! Since I am nearing 50 years old and one parent had cataracts (removed with lens implant), I would like to prepare myself in case the same will happen to me in future.

I read that it is quite difficult to determine the lens suitable for a person who has had Lasik done earlier, in cataract removal with lens implant.

If it is cataracts only that are removed (without lens implant), will this affect the vision I have now after Lasik?

What information shall I ask from my Lasik surgeon, to keep as future reference in case I have to go through this cataract removal with lens implant at a different place with a different surgeon?

Thank you.
mh
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 3:53 am

Re: Information to keep for future reference

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:02 pm

mh wrote:I read that it is quite difficult to determine the lens suitable for a person who has had Lasik done earlier, in cataract removal with lens implant.


The measurements are more challenging, however it is possible to determine the appropriate power of lens implant even without pre-operative numbers. Having those numbers, of course, makes things easier.

mh wrote:If it is cataracts only that are removed (without lens implant), will this affect the vision I have now after Lasik?


If an intraocular lens (IOL) is not implanted to replace the removed natural lens, you would be required to wear extremely thick glasses to be able to see.

You may have had a great aunt or grandparent who wore glasses that made his/her eyes look huge. Those were cataract prosthetic lenses required because no IOL was implanted.

mh wrote:What information shall I ask from my Lasik surgeon, to keep as future reference in case I have to go through this cataract removal with lens implant at a different place with a different surgeon?


Just ask the doctor to take all measurments necessary. S/he will know what to do or can refer you to a cataract specialist to have the measurements determined.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3309
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 6:43 am
Location: California

Postby mh » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:06 am

Thank you Glenn for the reply.
mh
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 3:53 am

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:11 am

I'm glad to be of service.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3309
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 6:43 am
Location: California


Return to Just Had It

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests