Risk too high to have treatment

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Risk too high to have treatment

Postby Totty » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:17 pm

Hi first timer here

Prescription:

SPH CYL Axis Near
R +3.5 +1.00 110 +2.0
L +3.5 +0.50 75 +2.0

Not sure what they all mean, believe longsighted

After many months of consideration I went for the consultation and was told I was suitable but on the cusp. the usual surgeons at the clinic would not do it but there was a surgeon from another area that would and he would be coming to the clinic.
So for the next 2 weeks i built myself up for it with great expectations.
Treatment day was yesterday but i didn't have it done.
the surgeon said there would be a risk that I would I would not have eyesight to the driving standard. In fact I never heard him mention any benefits from the surgery. he said he would do it but i had to be prepared that Imay not be able to drive again. I wouldn't even be able to wear glasses to correct it. Something about magnification?
You get yourself all worked up for it and this bombshell dropped just before the surgery.
Had I been prepared for it not happening eg at the consultation fair enough.
I was so upset that I just wanted to get out of there. They did ask me if I wanted to discuss it further with someone but I was far too distraught.
Today I have called ultralase to discuss it further with my patient advisor and advised he would call me within 2 hours, that was 4hrs ago.
the surgeon did say that the only alternative would be implantable lens but they are best fitted when they remove a cataract. Do i have to wait to till i get them first.
been on this forum and other sites looking at ICL but would like to ask for any advice anyone has to offer.
Feel so dejected
Totty

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:16 pm

Congratulations that in the end you found someone who would tell you what needed to be said. Yes, it is a disappointment now, but imagine the disappointment for the rest of your life if they had proceded and you were never again able to drive.

Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE) is a reasonable possibility if you are over the age of 40 and already needing reading glasses. If you are younger or don't need reading glasses, then you would lose the ability to see objects near.

Phakic Intraocular Lens (P-IOL) is seldom possible for hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted) patients because there usually is not enough room within the front chambers of the eye to fit the P-IOL without causing damage to the natural lens or the corena.

Until farsighted Lasik becomes better perfected, you may need to use glasses and contact lenses to see well.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It