Itchy eyes after LASIK

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Itchy eyes after LASIK

Postby johnny_F » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:01 pm

I am 1 month post LASIK and for the past week have been experiencing very itchy eyes. I do have dry eyes, however my doctors tell me there are no dry spots and that it is normal to have dry eyes at this stage of recovery and they are not concerned. I am concerned about the itching however. Is this something that is considered normal, or common when dealing with LASIK dry eye? Should I be concerned about blephiritis? I have no redness around my eyes, no blisters and no discharge of any sorts. I have noticed it is itchier in the morning after my first round of drops. I am using systane and Refresh regular during the day and Refresh Ultra at night. Could it be the drops causing it? I may try switching to see if there is any impact. Any input would be appreciated.
johnny_F

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:21 pm

It is possible that you are having an allergic reaction to the eye drops, or just normal allergies for this time of year. Switching the preservative-free eye drops to a different brand may work.

It is common for Restasis to cause a bit of stinging, but this is normally immediately after application and for a short period.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby boston » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:34 am

Lasik Expert,
Does Restasis have any good track record of healing peoples eyes, so to speak??
Such as 1 year post-op...
Because it was suggested by an eye doctor that I go on it, because of dry eye problems.
Can it help the eye "heal"?

Thanks
boston

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:08 pm

The lipid and aqueous layers of the tear film are supplied through small channels from the glands that create the fluids to the eye. If there is inflammation around these channels, the fluids will not reach the eyes even if the glands are making more than enough.

Restasis is diluted cyclosporine, an anti-inflammatory. Restaisis reduces dry eye problems by resolving the inflammation that blocks the flow of fluids, thereby "curing" the problem.

The manufacturer states that Restasis takes about 90 days to become fully effective, but some have seen positive changes in much less time. If the inflammation returns after stopping Restasis, you would likely need to use it again. For some, Restasis is a life-long method to manage and resolve chronic dry eye caused by inflammation.

Omega 3 essential fatty acids, such as flax seed or fish oils, are also an anti-inflammatory. They also have the added advantage of increasing the amount of oils (lipid layer of the tear film) in the body.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago