LASIK Flap

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

LASIK Flap

Postby Luxie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:22 am

I understand that when you opt for Lasik (either with the blade or with the laser) you have the flap cut. My question- is how long does it take usually for the flap to heal completely? How long until you can rub your eyes again and not risk dislodging it?

I heard some horror story about someone who had Lasik and when they went into the city the wind blew open the flaps...who knows if this is even true, but it makes me nervous anyway! I just don't want the risk of forgetting about my flaps and having something bad happen.

I am leaning towards PRK (and I know LasikExpert you seem to like this better anyway), but I am nervous of the pain and slow healing time. I know Lasik provides faster healing, but I don't want to have flap problems.

In addition, I have large corneas (9mm) and I am scared of night halos and starbursts. Does any type of surgery lend itself better to people with large corneas? My eyesight is -4.0 in both eyes.

Just trying to get a feel for what might be a better idea for me.
Luxie

Oops

Postby Luxie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:27 am

Oops...I meant that I have 9mm pupils!
Luxie

Re: LASIK Flap

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:02 pm

Luxie wrote:My question- is how long does it take usually for the flap to heal completely?

We have a detailed article about Lasik flap healing that you may find helpful.

Luxie wrote:I heard some horror story about someone who had Lasik and when they went into the city the wind blew open the flaps...who knows if this is even true, but it makes me nervous anyway!

The cornea has a natural suction that holds the flap in place until the edge of the flap properly seals. The idea of a wind blowing a flap up is nonsense, but if the author intended to frighten prospective Lasik patients, it appears the story had the desired effect.

After the edge of the flap heals it is very much like a Tupperware lid, tightly sealed at the edge and secure in the center.

Luxie wrote:I just don't want the risk of forgetting about my flaps and having something bad happen.

It takes significant trauma to lift a flap. They are not going to be flapping in the breeze.

Luxie wrote:I am leaning towards PRK (and I know LasikExpert you seem to like this better anyway),...

A am unabashedly biased toward the surface ablation techniques of PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik because they eliminate the Lasik flap. Even though Lasik flap related complications are relatively rare, no flap means no possibility of flap complications. No possibility of a Lasik flap complication is almost always better than a low probability of a Lasik flap complication.

Luxie wrote:...but I am nervous of the pain and slow healing time. I know Lasik provides faster healing, but I don't want to have flap problems.

In my experience (I had PRK), for the first two months you will wish you had Lasik, and every day thereafter you will be glad you had PRK.

Luxie wrote:In addition, I have large corneas (9mm) and I am scared of night halos and starbursts. Does any type of surgery lend itself better to people with large corneas? My eyesight is -4.0 in both eyes.

If your pupils naturally dilate to 9mm in low light (not total darkness measurment with a pupilometer or with eye drops), then there would not likely be any difference in the probability of night vision problems if you elected to have Lasik or PRK. In both the risk would likely be elevated, but your lower refractive error is a plus and the curvature of your corneas may help too. You need to read our article about Lasik and starbursts and discuss your concerns with your surgeon.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It