Surgical Options After a Retinal Detachment

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Surgical Options After a Retinal Detachment

Postby amc » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:40 pm

I am 45 and had a retinal detachment in 2007 and it went into the macula now a cataract has formed. Prior to RDT I was -8.00 LEye now cataract is forming and currently -7.50 REye. I have worn glasses since age 5 and contacts since age 13.I have seen two surgeons one says cyrtalens for LEye and intralase on the REye. He cannot promise I won't need glasses in any case.

The other says under correct the cataract to -7.50 in the LEye to match the REye or wear a contact lens in the REye to balance the correction in the LEye. They said that a good doctor would not do lasik on the REye because of my history of retinal detachment.

Iam frightened and now thoroughly confused as to what to do. Do you have any info to offer?
amc

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:10 pm

While undercorrecting the left eye to match the myopia in the right eye may be a perfectly acceptable option, it really does not make long-term sense to me.

Although it may be many years, eventually your other eye will form a cataract and need lens replacement. In fact, an option would be to have both lenses replaced now with the same surgical procedure. Read about Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE) for details. It seems to make sense to have the cataract surgery in your left eye to fully correct your myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision, and then depending upon the result, duplicate the process in the right eye.

One major concern will be the health of your retina in your right eye. Although the refractive error would be corrected with RLE, your eye would still be elongated, thereby putting pressure on the retina to detach. A full retinal evaluation would be needed before seriously considering RLE in the right eye.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Still Confused - Surgical Options After a Retinal Detachment

Postby amc » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Hello there, you kindly gave me some info regarding my lens replacement for cataract due to retinal detachment. Thank you.

One thing I also forgot to mention (as I am still contemplating the options) is that I have an astigmatism in both eyes (Ive were toric lenses). What affect will this have on the lense choice out there.

I have one doctor who reccomended ReStor and one who wants me to have the Crystalens.

Someone mentioned a new monofocal lens coming this Spring
that will partially correct for astigmatism. Should I be concerned with
the "silicone" material of the Crystalens being a possible problem if there was a worstcase retinal detachment in the future needing silicone oil.

Kind regards
amc

PS Still Confused...

Postby amc » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:00 pm

Also is there any good data out there on Crystalens yet? ReStor also?
amc

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:57 pm

There is very little clinical data that is not funded by the manufacturers of these intraocular lenses.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It