Post-LASIK double vision

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Post-LASIK double vision

Postby Button1 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:37 pm

I am now about 7 weeks post custom Intralase LASIK and for the past week, I have been experiencing double vision when looking at objects either near or far, which clears almost immediately once my eyes begin to "focus." Why is this?? I am currently 20/15 in both eyes.
Button1

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:29 pm

If the double vision occurs only with both eyes open and resolves with focusing, you may be having some difficulty with convergence. Convergence is when the eyes move together (cross-eyed) to align images. This may be a part of your individual healing process, may indicate a change in eye dominance, or may indicate another problem.

If it occurs with only one eye open, then it undoubtedly relates to an irregularity of the cornea, probably edema (swelling) or simple astigmatism. Astigmatism is when the cornea is not spherical like the top of a ball, but elliptical like the back of a spoon. The "tip" of the spoon bends light slightly off center and can create poor vision quality or a doubled (ghost) image.

If the problem occurs with only one eye open and it resolves when you focus, your pupils probably get smaller when you focus. The smaller pupil will restrict light from passing through the "tip" of the astigmatism. Your vision would probably be better in daylight and worse in low light environments.

This is something to discuss with your surgeon and seek a proper diagnosis.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It