Someone who had Monovision

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Someone who had Monovision

Postby Ron » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:32 pm

Hi, Looking for someone that had Monovision. How is it working out for you?
What was your vision befor and afer the surgery?
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Ron

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:58 pm

About 1/3rd of people who try monovision with contacts or laser vision correction do not like the effect. It is nearly impossible to predict how well you will adapt, however you are able to try monovision with contact lenses for a real-world analysis.
Last edited by LasikExpert on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby mh » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:48 am

Hi RON. Did you do monovision lasik? How are you doing?

I suspect older patients who understand they are already presbyopic or nearing that condition will tolerate and able to adapt to monovision.

I have adapted to my monovision. It is not a one-eyed-jack situation, you see normally like usual. It takes abit of time to adapt.

I do not feel I have depth perception problem either. But I have not tried situations where I need to aim something at a fixed target, like archery or bowling. So not sure if monovision will affect targeting.

I am 10 weeks post lasik. My present issue now is my long distance vision is not (yet?) quite to the mark. Still blurry. I have my worries but I am willing to wait out a few months more for further improvement. I am still using eye drops and I do not feel my eyes are dry. Nowadays, my eyes are not as easily tired as they were before.

GLENN, why is it that nowadays my eyes become blurry after using the Tears Naturale PF eye drops? Right after the drops they are very clear (the vision that I hope to get eventually!) but after that, when the drops dry up my eyes blurred/hazy vision for about 30-45 minutes and clear again to the good vision for that day. Any explanation for this please?
mh

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:42 pm

mh wrote:GLENN, why is it that nowadays my eyes become blurry after using the Tears Naturale PF eye drops? Right after the drops they are very clear (the vision that I hope to get eventually!) but after that, when the drops dry up my eyes blurred/hazy vision for about 30-45 minutes and clear again to the good vision for that day. Any explanation for this please?

It sounds like the additional artificial tears are creating an imbalance in the tear function. When you first put them in, your natural tears are flushed away and the artificial tears replace the natural tear film with a different thickness and fluid balance. For a few moments this is great, but those tears are discharged through the punctum.

Then the natural tears must replentish and the layers must become balanced. It appears to take you about 30-45 minutes for this to occur.

Ask your doctor to check your tear function. It may be that you no longer need artificial tears, or no longer need artificial tears of this type.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby mh » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:17 pm

You are right! I reduced usage of the Tears Naturale down to 3 times a day since yesterday and my vision is stable and great! I guess I erred on the too-much-artificial-tears when actually my eyes do not need so much anymore. Thank you. :)
mh

Postby jessicar » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:28 am

Hi Ron,

I had my Mono Vision August 2008. I did not adjust and was miserable for 11 months. I finally had an enhancement last Thursday. Not any better for me. HOWEVER, I hear that most of the time after an enhancement your vision is much much better. I think I'm just that 1 in a few thousands that my brain won't except the correction. Good luck and keep us up to date.
jessicar

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:06 am

Actually, about one-third of those who try monovision in contact lenses do not like the effect and cannot adjust. Your experience is not quite as rare as you may have thought.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby mh » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:57 am

Hi jessicar. I hope you will see much, much better after the enhancement. All the best!
mh

Postby mh » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:11 am

My last update.

At 3 and a half months after monovision lasik, I can see clearly near and far as good as like wearing my old glasses (maybe slightly better). I can see clearly all the practical targets that I use to gauge my improvements. No more drops, only Genteal eye gel just before sleep.

After 3-months of `why is it still blurry', vision has cleared totally. Only a very, very, very, very slight feeling of `something is different' in my close range eye when looking at distance but I guess that is to be expected of monovision lasik. It is not bothersome.

Night vision still with halos and starbursts but I feel they are not so glaring now ... Doctor said these will go away with more time (I hope so).

So, to other monovision lasik patients, hang on there! :)
mh

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:14 pm

Congratulations on your success with monovision! Thanks for letting us know the end of the story.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

I had Monovision Lasik

Postby MonoVisionExperiment » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:54 pm

Hi Ron,

I had monovision lasik on September 27, 2007. Before the procedure I had about -3.5 with astigmatism in both eyes. I can't remember my exact prescription but I was very near sighted and wore thick glasses with bifocals. I was 47 when I had the procedure. Initially I could see fantastic with my distance eye! It was the first time I could drive at night and see all the lights correctly! No halo's which I had always had to a certain degree because of my astigmatism. My up close eye (left) was another matter. I couldn't see clearly up close or far away with my left eye. I was so afraid I had made a terrible mistake. I had a problem with the edge of the flap healing too fast and had to use steriod eye drops on and off for months. But eventually, after about 8 months and multiple visits to the doctor, my left eye began to see clearly. I could see up close and far away. Now I still get blurry up close vision when my allergies flare up. Isn't that strange? Other than allergy days though I am 100% thrilled. I never wear any corrective lenses and can see everything except for occasionally I need to use a magnifying glass for teeny weeny print like on a medicine bottle but usually I can even read small print. I did have to use lubricating drops up until just a month or so ago. Now I don't feel like I need them. I didn't try out monovision with a contact lens trial except for just a few minutes in the doctors office. I made a snap decision (which could have been terrible) but I knew that I didn't want to have both eyes be 20/20 and have no up close vision. I did try contacts like that and it was like wearing binoculars. I couldn't see anything clearly within 6 feet of me! I am VERY happy that I chose monovision!

Beth
MonoVisionExperiment

Re: I had Monovision Lasik

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:34 pm

MonoVisionExperiment wrote:Now I still get blurry up close vision when my allergies flare up. Isn't that strange?

Not at all. Cornea thickness is regulated by hydration. Allergies and allergy medicine tend to dehydrate corneas. It does not take much change to cause additional refractive error.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It