Conventional Lasik; blurriness hasn't changed

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Conventional Lasik; blurriness hasn't changed

Postby star45 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:38 am

Hi,

I had conventional lasik done on July 18, and the surgeon said that I had 20/30 and I've had blurriness since the beginning. He said that because of my age [being in my mid-forties) I will have to wear reading glasses, but that my farvision would improve over time.

Had my 1st week follow-up and when they tested my persciption, I saw double vision in both eyes and blurriness was still present. They said that my eyes were very unstable, but will improve over a 3 month period. That I just have to wait and see!!! My first week I had a lot of eye strain at work and was using reading glasses to read and do tasks, because I couldn't see without them. It's been 2 weeks now the eye strain has improved, but the blurriness has not changed.

My next follow-up is on August 15. They said that I should be seeing an optomistrist and when I go for my appointment with him, they will send my information to him. What I want to know is, is this blurriness going to change and if so, when? I'm trying to be patient, but I'm concerned and my patience is being tried. I won't do anything hasty, but will follow my doctor's advice. But when I got the surgery done, I was under the impression that my eyes would get better. It seems everyone else's vision is okay, but I didn't get the PRK treatment and now wonder if I should have. What are your thoughts? Do you have anything to say that could help ease my fears?

For those who are impatient, you're not alone.

Tammy ;)
star45

Re: Conventional Lasik; blurriness hasn't changed

Postby LittleAsianguy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:46 am

I had my lasik done two years ago. I remember having these scary looking red marks on my eyes and seeing halos & starburst. It's so easy to get depressed when things are perfect right off the bat. My laser eye surgeon said it'll take 3-6 months and at the time i didnt really trust him. But he was correct there was a big improvement in halos and starburts and the red marks did go away. Im sure your situation will improve :)

star45 wrote: Do you have anything to say that could help ease my fears?

For those who are impatient, you're not alone.

Tammy ;)
LittleAsianguy

Postby mh » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:05 pm

Star45, being worried/impatient is normal, you are not alone there. I am another 40 plus lasik patient. 1st month was very worrying but quite good improvements although blurry, 2nd month almost nothing much or very slow progress and now after 2.5 months I am seeing very clearly. Recently my eyes blurred after using the lubricant eye drops and apparently, my eyes do not need so much drops anymore. After reducing the drops, my eyes really improved.

These are other steps I do to assist with healing. Clean eyelids (close eyes and clean lashes) with very diluted baby shampoo on a cotton pad twice a day. Rinse with wet cotton pads. Sometimes I do this once a day in the morning only (lids scrubs).

Again wet cotton pads in warmest water I can stand and I put them over closed eyes. Re-wet in warm water and place over closed eyes for 5-10 times (warm compress). Do this over the sink or shower.

Everything got to be done GENTLY of course.

I also take flaxseed oil 1000mg vegicapsule once a day (food supplement).

When my eyes feel strained, I close them and dab/squeeze gently over top lashes from one end to other and then bottom lashes the same. Or rub your palms together to warm them and place over your closed eyes (lids therapy).

I believe what I have done helps my eyes to get back to normal condition today. I still use the drops 3 times a day (upon waking, mid-day and bedtime) just in case until I see my surgeon at the 3-months check-up and he says I can stop or otherwise.

Hope this information will comfort you and useful.
mh

Postby star45 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:58 am

Littleasianguy, thank you for telling me that your eyes did improve over time. I also didn't quite trust my surgeon when he told me this, but now I'm starting to believe that my eyes will improve. Thanks again. This will ease my fears!!!

mh, thank you for informing me about how your eyes improved over the 2.5 - 3 month waiting period. And also for letting me know how to keep my eyes clean. This will be very helpful for me.

When I take a show or bath, I always shut my eyes and lean my head back when I shampoo, so that no water comes into my eyes. I find this a safe and effective way of keeping water away from my face.

I also bought a natural sea sponge and find it to be very soft and gentle for touching my eyes and skin. No rubbing is required, but gently dabbing the eyes with the natural sponge does the trick. I would recommend getting one of these to anyone who has had lasik surgery.

Tammy ;)
star45

Return to Just Had It