had Intra lasik Aug. 30 lots of trouble since PLEASE HELP

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

had Intra lasik Aug. 30 lots of trouble since PLEASE HELP

Postby julsjuls » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:18 pm

HELP ... I had intra lasik Aug. 30th I should start by saying I am 45 and have MS and have for 9 years. I went to a very good doctor and I think I still trust him but I am worried. I was going to be getting mono vision and my left eye seems ok as the first step was being done that day the right eye didnt seem like the left and I have had many problems with my right eye which is my distance eye. The next day I was told I had a wrinkle on the flap that was a Thursday and they fixed it 6 days later had a contact in that eye for 21/2 days. Since then I cant see well at all, my distance is awful. On Sept. 18 they did and eye exam and saw that my script was a little undercorrected and that my astigmatism is actually a little worse then before lasik. They say an enhasment in 12 weeks. Give me glasses which help a little but not always. Does they sound like it can be corrected I also when reading very fine print can not see it at all...I used to be able to take my glasses off and read it very close up and I cant read it in any way now at all. I feel I have messed my eyes up now and I have been very depressed wished I would have never done this. Sorry this is so long....... Thanks[color=blue][/color][size=18][/size]
julsjuls

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:51 pm

The flap wrinkle you describe sounds like macrostriae. This is like a fold in a blanket on your bed. Lifting the flap, smoothing out the folds, and repositioning the flap is probably the best response at this point. If the fold remains, the flap may be lifted and smoothed again. If the fold continues to be problematic, the flap may be lifted, smoothed, stretched, and sutured. Most people do fine with one flap lift and smoothing, which you have already had, but there are options if problems persist.

The astigmatism may be unresolved from before surgery, induced by surgery, induced by the flap problem, or induced by edema (swelling) because of the additional manipulation of the cornea. If it is due to edema, it will probably be reduced or eliminated with healing. Otherwise, it is likely that your doctor target the elimination of your astigmatism with the enhancement surgery.

Your difficulty reading may be in part because of what I call "sudden presbyopia".Read the linked for details.

The problems you describe are not common, but are known. It appears that your doctor is taking the correct steps to resolve the problems. When you get to the point of enhancement surgery, you will need to discuss with great detail your concerns and what you want after surgery (such as near vision) so the doctor can target your needs.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Thank u for your response one more question

Postby julsjuls » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:58 am

Thank you for your responce.... do I need to worry with the enhancement about hazing in the eyes or halos would it be best to leave it all alone and get glasses to improve the vision. Also sorry guess its more then one more question.... how long can it take for all of the edema to go away? The repair with the wrinke was Sept. 6th would it still be swollen even if they say its looking good right now? And as far as reading the tiny tiny print, which I used to be able to before all of this if I took my glasses off, can that be enhanced since the left eye was made so far for mono vision? Thank you very much for you help....
julsjuls

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:41 pm

Haze occurs when a large amount of tissue is remove for large corrections. An enhancment surgery is commonly for a very small amount of correction and removes a small amount of tissue. Haze is not normally a problem.

If the enhancement is PRK on the Lasik flap - a less common technique that is used to save untouched tissue - then haze again becomes a concern and Mitomycin C is commonly used.

Edema is commonly resolved within days to weeks, but will take longer if you have dry eyes.

Whether or not the potential benefit of enhancement surgery is worth the potential risk will be a decisio only you can make after all these other issues have settled down.

The inability to read tiny print may related to many issues. You should be able to read small print only in the eye corrected for near vision and probably not with both eyes open. If your near vision eye has edema or dry eyes, the quality would be less. This too is a concern that will change with healing.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby julsjuls » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:17 pm

Thank you again....can you tell me over Intra lasik which sort of enhancement should be used if and when I decide to do so. I want to say over the phone when I asked the assistant she said we would most likely laser it. WHat does that mean exactaly....thank you again for all your help.
julsjuls

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:23 pm

The vast majority of Lasik and IntraLasik enhancment surgeries consist of lifting the existing flap, lasering on the exposed area of the cornea, and respositioning the flap. Enhancement surgery is virtually identical to initial surgery except that a new flap is not required.

In circumstances where untouched cornea thickness is marginal, the surgeon may suggest PRK on the Lasik flap. Rather than lifting the flap and applying laser energy deeper in the cornea, the laser energy is applied at the surface of the cornea on the flap. This type of enhancement surgery is much less common.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby julsjuls » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:01 pm

So is that considered Lasik or Lasek? My script before IntraLasik was
OD -5.00 CYLIN-- 0.50 Axis 180
OS- 4.50 CYLIN- -0.50 Axis 15

Now it is ...... OD -0.50 CLYIN- -150 Axis 175
OS -0.50 CLYIN - 075 Axis 10

The left eye was to be made for reading....right now as it stands I can see better out of my left eye then my right. I have glasses now and they sometimes help and sometimes they dont....looking at the computer screen is very hard right now. So enhancing this would be safe as far as halos because my script isnt to high? and we are not cutting again ....or bladeless cutting is lifting the flap almost like what they did when the fixed my wrinkle? It doesnt sound as if I would want PRK if I have a choice. What are the things that can happen with lifting the flap again for better vision? Thank you
julsjuls

Postby julsjuls » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:01 pm

So is that considered Lasik or Lasek? My script before IntraLasik was
OD -5.00 CYLIN-- 0.50 Axis 180
OS- 4.50 CYLIN- -0.50 Axis 15

Now it is ...... OD -0.50 CLYIN- -150 Axis 175
OS -0.50 CLYIN - 075 Axis 10

The left eye was to be made for reading....right now as it stands I can see better out of my left eye then my right. I have glasses now and they sometimes help and sometimes they dont....looking at the computer screen is very hard right now. So enhancing this would be safe as far as halos because my script isnt to high? and we are not cutting again ....or bladeless cutting is lifting the flap almost like what they did when the fixed my wrinkle? It doesnt sound as if I would want PRK if I have a choice. What are the things that can happen with lifting the flap again for better vision? Thank you
julsjuls

GLASSES AND ALCON MACHINE

Postby julsjuls » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:36 pm

Also could you tell me why my glasses are not helping that much...they help a little with the distance.... but then if I turn differently or get up and walk around they distrort things. Also when I close my right eye which is the one that gave me all the trouble but should be my distance eye even with the glasses on I dont see as far or as well as I do when I look just out of my left eye with the glasses on....that worries me. I also wanted to ask you about the ALCON SUMMIT LADARVision Excimer laser syster that is what was used I believe and now of couse after I did this when I read about the machine I see they have had a lot of problems....what do you feel about the ALCON?
julsjuls

Return to Just Had It