I'm back in glasses!

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Postby LauraD » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:39 pm

Thank you Armyvet and LasikExpert. I'm very happy with the results. I was very nervous but I had to do it.

Please accept my apologies for all the misspellings in my post above. (Lense "Lens" ...rigth "right" )
LauraD

Re: I'm back in glasses

Postby star45 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:17 am

Hi Laura,

I had conventional lasik 2 weeks ago and never had 20/20. They told me I was 20/30 in both eyes, but after the surgery my eyes have been blurry since. My surgeon said that I probably would need reading glasses, due to my age being in my mid-forties. I had to use temporary 3.25 reading glasses to read and do my work at work.

When I use my reading glasses to do my work at work, I look over them and I still can't see clearly. I was very nearsighted before surgery and they said that they could correct the farsightedness which they said would improve over a period of 3 months.

I told my bosses on a few occations that it will take about 3 months for my eyes to stabilize. The "Big Boss" came up to me after my post op week checkup and asked how I was doing. [He's a very caring boss], I had to explain over again that it will take time and assure him that the reading glasses are helping me. He comments that there are alot of kooks out there and that you have to be careful these days. I said ya, I know.

Still, on a positive note I can do all my work at work. It's such a busy time right now. [I hope they understand. I think so?] I'm trying so hard to be optomistic and positive, keep my spirits up and all. I've been quite impatient and frustrated about all this waiting, but I know only time will tell. I have to wait! Yikes!!! :roll:

I just hope and pray that everything will turn out right,; clearly right. :lol: I pray every night for a miracle and hope all will turn out the way it should. But, I've been having some anxiety about it and almost was in tears, not quite, about it. I feel like I'm the only one, but I know I'm not! You are all having similar anxieties and I'm glad I found this forum, :wink:

Thank you,
God BLess, Tammy ;) [B.C. Canada]
star45

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:08 am

Tammy,

When a person is very nearsighted, the doctor will commonly deliberately overcorrect into hyperopia (farsighted) vision because the correction will likely regress back to the final desired result.

Using reading glasses is an excellent way to function during this healing period.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby star45 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:46 am

Glenn,

Thanks for mentioning that wearing reading glasses are a good way to function during the healing process. They are my lifeline for now. LOL.

I didn't know that overcorrection was common, but I think I would understand why a doctor would use this method to correct a person who was very myopic [like me] before surgery. That would make me hyperopic [farsighted, longsighted] then? Is the recovery time much longer for a very myopic person, who has had conventional surgery like I have?

I know everyone is different, but is it realistic for me to expect better vision, [at mid-forties age], in 3 months or longer? Would PRK method have been a better choice for me, with a shorter recovery period or is there any difference in my case? What do you think Glenn?

Thanks for responding. It helps me understand more clearly what is going on in the healing process, and for anyone who is wondering the same things.

God Bless,
Tammy ;) [B.C. Canada]

Th
star45

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:29 am

star45 wrote:Is the recovery time much longer for a very myopic person, who has had conventional surgery like I have?

Some people are immediately able to see well and never have any symptoms of healing, so "longer" is a relative term. If overcorrected as it sounds, your eyes will need to regress back to plano (no refractive error) and stabilize. That does take longer.

star45 wrote:I know everyone is different, but is it realistic for me to expect better vision, [at mid-forties age], in 3 months or longer?

Three to six months is a reasonable time.

star45 wrote:Would PRK method have been a better choice for me, with a shorter recovery period or is there any difference in my case?

PRK would probably not have been a better choice for you. PRK for very high myopes tends to cause corneal haze - a problem you don't want. PRK is more reasonable for people with low myopia and hyperopia vision than high myopes like you.

As for regression, PRK and Lasik would likely have the same effect and healing time.

star45 wrote:Thanks for responding. It helps me understand more clearly what is going on in the healing process, and for anyone who is wondering the same things.

That is exactly our goal.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Just Had It