Total Blurred Vision in One Eye

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Total Blurred Vision in One Eye

Postby gluonspin » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:45 pm

Hi-
I had Lasik done a month ago and have total blurred vision in one eye that has persisted after several doctor visits. Has anyone else had this and did it go away? How long did it take? What was the cause? If it did not go away, what was wrong?

I religiously take drops for inflammation and dry eyes. The blurry eye is my right eye which is also my dominant eye. When I close the left, I can't even see my hand in front of my face clearly.

thanks
gluonspin

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:51 am

What have the doctors said is the cause of the problem? Are you able to get clear vision with a refraction (which is better, one or two?)? Are you able to see clearly at any distance, near or far?
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby gluonspin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:23 am

I am not able to see clearly at any distance, near or far. The doctors suspect inflammation but why hasn't my vision in that eye improved at all...
gluonspin

Postby gluonspin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:23 am

Also, refraction doesn't help either...
gluonspin

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:47 am

That is important. Have the doctors said the problem is Diffuse Lamellar Keratitis (DLK)? Have they remarked that there is haze in the cornea or at the Lasik flap?
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby gluonspin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:22 am

I'll ask them about that during my next visit. If it is though, what does that generally mean???
gluonspin

Postby gluonspin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:29 am

Never mind, I just read your link to DLK. Scary stuff. Gee, being in the "1%" is a lot scarier than doctors make it out to be!
gluonspin

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:10 am

If it is DLK, the "advantage" is that it is relatively well understood, the treatment is known, and over a period of time the haze will undoubtedly resolve.

It is especially important to use your prescribed eye drops as instructed.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby gluonspin » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:32 pm

Do you know what is typically prescribed to respond to DLK or possible DLK in terms of eye drops?
gluonspin

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:58 pm

Steroids. Usually highly agressive treatment (once an hour, etc.) for a short period and then tapered off as the DLK resolves.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby gluonspin » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:52 pm

Yep that's exactly the treatment I received and I was recently tappered off of them according to instruction, BUT I still only see blurriness through one eye...
gluonspin

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:22 pm

The blurry vision can last much longer than the treatment. After the initial treatment, the changes can be very, very slow.

I know of a 1999 patient who had DLK with a delayed diagnosis and treatment that went to a full flap melt. It took years, but here cloudy cornea eventually cleated up completely, so even really bad cases can have a (resonably) happy ending.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby gluonspin » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:53 am

Thanks Glen. The only problem is I really enjoy my job and need my dominant eye, the blurry one, to be allowed to continue working....
gluonspin

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:53 pm

It does not sound like your situation is not nearly so dire as the 1999 patient. It appears the problem was diagnosed early and treatment quickly started. Your doctor will be better able to estimate how long it will take before the haze clears.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby gluonspin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:08 pm

Hi Glenn-
I wanted to update you on my progress. With my right and dominant eye I can now see distances that are far off (>50ft) with little to no time required, while starring at the object, for blurriness/haziness to go away. But objects within the 10-20 ft distance are still blurry/hazy. Plus, toward about mid-late day the blurriness gets worse.

Does the fact that I can see clear from distances afar make sense in terms of how the eye works/heals? Also, why would blurriness increase toward the end of the day?

thanks
gluonspin

Next

Return to Just Had It