LASIK vs. Visian ICL

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

LASIK vs. Visian ICL

Postby nikos » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:24 pm

I have a fairly high correction in both eyes, -8.50 in my right and -9.25 in my left. I went to talk to a doctor and he told me that for my prescription, he would suggest Visian ICL because:

1. With LASIK, he would have to deform my cornea quite a bit due to my high prescription.
2. With ICL, the cut would me much smaller and I would be less likely to suffer from dry eye
complications.

He says that my cornea is thick enough that LASIK would be OK, but he thinks ICL would give better results.

I'd like to get an external opinion, though. On Wikipedia (I know, I shouldn't trust it all that much) it says that if the ICL is too small, it can spin around and hurt my inside eye structures, specifically, my lens. The doctor told me that I should not have problems if my anterior chamber is deep enough (which he says it is).

But I would like to get more opinions. Just how safe is this ICL technology, and should I be worried about the ICL damaging my eyes?
nikos

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:05 pm

A phakic intraocular lens (P-IOL) like the Visian Implantable Collamer Lens (It is not implantable contact lens like some market it) is a reasonable alternative to Lasik for someone with higher myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision, however it does have its limtations, and you mentioned a major one: trauma induced cataract.

Read our article about the Visian ICL and other P-IOLs for details.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It