Getting it in November

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Getting it in November

Postby Ellusionz » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:06 pm

For the job in law enforcement I want I need 20/100 or better vision (I have 20/400 now). Plus I wanted to do this after I got started in my career anyways. So I decided I'd get this done :) I went by Florida Eye Clinic in Altamonte Springs, Fl so far. Tomorrow I have an appointment at LasikPlus in Maitland. And I'm going to get appointments at Filutowski (Lake Mary) and Magruder (Orlando).

I'm pretty comfortable with the Fl Eye Clinic so guess I'll get it there unless I feel as good or better w/ another doc (and the price is right). Just wondering if anyones heard or had any experience with these places.

They seem to work so differently, the first one gave me a quick checkover to see if I was eligible, the doctor wasn't there just assistants. They said they'd do the full exam the week of the surgery. When I made an appointment with LasikPlus they ask for my CC to hold the appointment, and seeing that they have so many offices in the country I get the feeling its almost like going to McD's. From the website Magruder seems the most like a eye doc office, kinda small and quaint. Filutowski does Botox also? How exactly is that related to eye surgery... Anyways I just felt like rambling before heading to work, thanks again for any advice ya'll can give me :)
Ellusionz

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:23 am

Using our 50 Tough Questions For Your Lasik Doctor will undoubtedly help you make a decision.

Be sure to investigate if a surface ablation technique like PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik would be appropriate for you. Also, verify that there are no restrictions on corrective eye surgery for your desired career.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Ellusionz » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:01 am

Yup I had already found that before my first appointment but didn't have time to give them the whole thing before my consultation. I glanced through it and only found about 10 questions I felt they prolly wouldn't answer in the appointment that I wanted to get claification on so highlighted those and brought it with me.

Every department is different on their restrictions. I just need to make sure my uncorrected vision after the procedure gets good enough to make the minimun qualifications.
Ellusionz

Postby Ellusionz » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:28 pm

So... went to LasikPlus, and they do have a really good deal going on now. If I schedule by Wed or something I'd get 500 off my procedure. They seem really nice, plus I'd get lifetime warrenty on it and since I'm moving and they have offices all over it'd be convienent. Checking out Filuntowski tomorrow (they also have some 500 off thing but seem more commercialized).

They only do the one with the blade (m something) though, not the intralase. They said there are actually more complications w/ doing bladeless than with. Is this true ya think or they just trying to sell themselves? I heard it could scar up more I thought. But the two places so far both use Basch & Lomb (first one just would use custom Zyptonix and the second one said I didn't need it and would do regular). They also said that custom was used only to fix night issues.

Just reporting what was said and wanted some feedback. Thanks for reading over my post :)
Ellusionz

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:36 pm

The suggestion that there are more complications with a femtosecond laser microkeratome (IntraLasik) than with a mechanical microkeratome that uses a steel blade (Lasik) than could not possibly be backed up with scientific studies. The laser flap has its own quirks, but is more accurate in thickness and dimension and can be made thinner than a mechanical microkeratome flap when necessary. I'm quite certain that if they owned a femtosecond laser they would be telling you why it is worth the extra charge.

You may want to read about "lifetime Lasik warranties".
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It