5 months out and all kinds of problems...HELP

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

5 months out and all kinds of problems...HELP

Postby Twyla » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:10 pm

Hi There-

I’ve been searching around this site for the last few months looking for answers but finally decided to join, so I’m new and I’m hopping someone out there has had my complications and can offer some sort of relief to the anxiety I feel.

Here’s my story-

In mid April of this year I had Lasik surgery (the all laser type) I was -5.0 in my right and -5.25 in my left. I’m in my late 30’s and have worn contacts/glasses since Jr. High. I would wear my contacts for 15 hours a day and has slight dry eyes but with drops (2-3 a day) it worked out fine. I decided on Lasik to make my life easier and cut down on the daily annoyance of dealing with chemicals and not being able to read the alarm clock in the morning.

I stated on Restasis in March (a full month before my surgery) and was told that this will help my eyes and the and any dryness I had afterward. My surgery day seemed to go fine but I had a lot of bruises from the suction cups they use to hold your eye still. I went home and did as I was told…rest, steroid drops, antibiotic drops, rewetting drops and glasses to sleep in. I woke up the next day and still had poor vision. I did see my dr. the following day and my vision slowly improved but not at all what I expected and then the dry eye sets in.

I use both Systane and Refresh Plus (preservative free of course), Restasis (1 time in the morning and 1 time at night), Gen Teal gel before bed, cold mist humidifier when I sleep and no ceiling fan (and I live in AZ where it gets 115 this time of year) Most of the time my eyes feel like there is never enough moisture in them and the corners of my eyes get super dry. I sometimes experience the sandy feeling, tiredness, and my left eye twitches. I’ve had temporary punctual plugs (top and bottom) and just a week and half ago had the permanent ones (bottom only) put in and they have not seemed to agree with me at all. The corners of my eyes itch a lot and I really see no relief from them at all. I went back to my dr. last week (a few days after the permanent plugs were in) to make sure I wasn’t having a reaction to the plugs but he said no.

I use my re-wetting drops about 4 times an hour even at 5 months post op. I think my dr. is so frustrated with my situation that he doesn’t know what else to do. He sees me every 30 days or sooner if needed. I’ve been told that it can take 6 months for my eyes to heal but the last conversation I had with my dr. I was told that I was way behind the curve and my situation was “rare”.

Now that you know my story I have some questions.

How long before the plugs show some relief? Is it supposed to be instant or over time?

Does my dry eye sound normal to anyone?

I’ve been told that I have a small crease in one of my flaps and my eyes not getting enough moisture had caused it.
Can this happen?

My eyes are so sensitive to everything…smells like garlic or perfume that I used to like. Any air movement like air conditioning or wind and temperature changes. Has anyone had that happen?

I’m fearful that I will live life attached to my drops and poor vision. It’s frustrating and it hurts that I spent a lot of money to have something that I dreamed about done and it’s turned into a big nightmare that I can’t wake-up from.

I appreciate all you reading my story and thank you in advance for any type of suggestions you may have.

Twyla
Twyla

Postby floatanddry » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:22 pm

I am sorry for your complications. I hope things get better.

I would check out "the dry eye zone" - google it. They have other patients with similiar experiences like you, and lots of folks who have used different methods and tips and tricks to deal with your difficult situation.

I would also use flaxseed/omega3 supplements to see if that helps.

Good Luck.
floatanddry

Nice Advice

Postby Twyla » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:37 pm

floatanddry-

Thanks for the the Dry Eye Zone site info. I found some really nice stuff on there. Doesn't sound like I'm alone with this and that makes me feel a little better. Thanks again.
Twyla

Postby LittleAsianguy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:29 am

Tears Naturale II, this is the brand i use for my eyes. For some reason it works better than others. Even though i dont have dry eye i still love this product.
LittleAsianguy

Postby Twyla » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:21 pm

LittleAsianguy-thanks for the info. I've seen them in the stores but are the preservative free?
Twyla

drops

Postby CTOD » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:03 pm

Refresh Celluvisc is a great PF drop for really dry eyes. Also make sure you drink tons of water and get rid of caffeine--that can make a big difference. Hope you are felling better soon!
CTOD

Postby Twyla » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:53 pm

Here is an update-

I took a cue from some of the posts on a different board and picked up the book The Dry Eye Remedy by Dr. Robert Latkany. It's been helpful this week. I'm doing the eye spa treatment and seeing if that doesn't help some. I'm sure it makes things more difficult that I live in AZ and the air is dry here. I tried Tears Naturale and they were ok but didn't seem to be thick enough. I also tried the Refresh product that supposed to help your tear layers and that burned my eyes. I will have to take CTOD advice and try Celluvisc.
Thanks for all the support.

Note: Post edited to add link to Amazon for recommended book.
Twyla

Return to Had It A While Ago